French Alps or Atlantic Coast Dilemma

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Davyboy

French Alps or Atlantic Coast Dilemma

Post by Davyboy »

My wife and I are considering buying an apartment for holiday letting (and for our own use for a couple of months per year) on either the coast or in the Alps. Does anyone have any words of encouragement, warning or advice to offer to help us decide on which venue (or even any straight “Don’t do it!�s)
The lunatic is on the grass
paolo

Post by paolo »

Davyboy,

That's a choice only you can make - it depends where you would like to have a house.

In general, you should do some research to check that the places you are thinking of buying in are marketable, and to which markets. If you buy somewhere frequented by several nationalities (and preferably including North Americans and Aus/NZ) you will find it easier to make ends meet with your holiday lettings.

If you are buying a one- or two-bedroom apartment with a nice view in a picturesque village or well-known town, you have a chance of tapping into the year-round market of couples and retired couples who are not dependent on school holidays. In fact many couples prefer travelling in the off-season when the crowds have gone but the scenery/food/culture is still as good.

I would try to be no more than 90 minutes (preferably 60 minutes) from an international airport with more than just low-cost carriers serving it. These airlines come and go, and cancel routes unexpectedly, potentially taking your market with them.

Otherwise I am not really familiar with either of the locations you're thinking about, so I can't tell you about local conditions or supply and demand. A lot of areas are over-supplied with rental homes, but you can always differentiate yourself from the crowd. You'll pick up a few good tips on doing that here and in the newsletters.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
tansy

Post by tansy »

davyboy - all I can say is distance is a factor re the managing of holiday lets...I'm sure others who are based in UK can give better advice - I'm here in France but I do find it a struggle with our 2 houses - especially the one an hour away - we are in fact selling it because of the distance...finding really reliable folk and holding on to them is the key...that they have the same standards you expect your holiday makers to have - management agencies seem to be a bit of a bone of contention from what I've seen & heard.

This is the only negative I can think of...it's up to you where but be aware there are a lot of folk out there who have the same idea so choose where there is less availability or there a really great attraction nearby.

Good luck with it all.
altyfc

Post by altyfc »

The old adage "location, location, location" speaks a lot of truth, as both Paolo and Tansy have already alluded to.

Pick the right location and you'll give yourself a good basis to work from.

Aaron