Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

How does it work with this?

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garlic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: How does it work with this? Reply with quote

I hope somebody can help with this!
Not being able to afford to have a website built although we would have prefered this option we have bought a standard cheapie package from 1&1 internet.

Urrgh I hate their wbsite creater it has had me stamping my feet on many occasions. I find it inflexible ugly and it doesn't even do what it should do terribly well.

Looking at their faqs (which seem to confuse me also) it says I can create my website using pdfs if I download some sort of pdf ad on.

Ok the science! In my previous incarnation I am print design producer which means I make pages for magazines and newspapers...hence I really don't like bad design or layout. I am very used to using quark express and it is my prefered programme for anything design based. Where I am usless is with web based stuff.

So couple (or more) questions. If I were to design my pages in quark normally then print to my pdf writer would this work?
Quark has it's own webpage thingy should I make pages using this then convert to pdf?
Why can't I just use quark web pages?
I have dreamweaver but never got round to learning how to use it, is this my only option, it is a pretty old version?

I really would appreciate any help/advice anyone can offer I am really a dunce with web stuff but could design decent stuff if I just knew how it works
Thanks in advance
Ps I looked at frontpage but I really don't like word and frontpage looks even worse
Garri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello garlic, so many questions!

I'm familiar with Quark, use it to layout CD/LP covers etc but it's a right pain in the nads that program! OK for print, as that was its original purpiose but I would stay away from using it for web design and don't even think about pdfs as web pages!

Dreamweaver would be a better choice and perhaps start with their templates to get a feel, or hunt the web for some templates off the shelf and take them apart and redesign for your purposes.

I actually opened my copy of Dreamweaver the other day to do some CSS coding for a site I'm planning, mainly some ideas for typography, and found it cumbersome, so instead I decided to try and learn to hand code html and css and use Style Master as my main tool.

If you come from a print background, as I do, then it shouldn't be too much for you to get stuck into the nitty gritty of web design.

Those web basewd site builder tools are nonsense and too compromising. Have you thought about using some cms programs such as Textile, Word Press or Movable Type? These are used mainly as blogging tools but could be applied to a whole site - some amazing sites have been built using these tools and with some knowledge of css.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how you get on!

ps. Delete Frontpage from your hard drive - now!
Alan Knighting

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garlic,

As an ex print design producer you obviously know the value of the appearance of the finished product. In my opinion printed pages and internet pages have little in common other than their ultimate appeal.

If you are determined to produce an attractive website I would forget Adobe Acrobat, Quark Express, MS Publisher, et al. They may all claim to generate HTML equivalents but they share one thing in common - they are all crap.

I think you should learn to create your webpages in their natural environment - HTML and CSS. For that you need an HTML editor, the choice of the moment is Macromedia Dreamweaver, and a CSS creator, the choice of the moment is Style Master. You will also need an image editor such as Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop. It's a steep learning curve but it's worth it in the long run.

Alan
paolo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garlic,

I think you should go with Dreamweaver. If you know Quark you will find it fairly easy to use, as it works in a vaguely similar way. I would buy a book on it, maybe Dreamweaver for Dummies, or a more thorough series is the O'Reilly guides - Dreamweaver in a Nutshell.

You'll find some discussion of Dreamweaver and alternatives in this thread:
http://www.laymyhat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92
garlic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
I suppose I shouldn't expect it to be too easy. I'll hunt out my copy of dream weaver I'm pretty sure it's buried in a box somewhere and I even have a manual to go with it.........The longer I'm here the less time I want to spend stuck in front of a computer Sad but I'll just have to bite the bullet urrgh. My version of dream weaver is at least 4yrs old does that matter?

I have photoshop, illustrator and know how to use them so image stuff is straight forwardish.

I'll let you all know how I get on Smile
Garri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garlic, it shouldn't matter too much about a 4 year old version of DW although the web has changed enormously since then with the move towards web standards, although you'd never know it judging from some of the 'new' sites I keep seeing.

I suggest for a good grounding you should visit www.westciv.com [edit - corrected] - great tutorials on web standard based design and home to the mighty Style Master.

And this is a useful resource starting block too: http://www.contentwithstyle.co.uk/Articles/17/a-css-framework

Oh, and check out Tansy's site, 'possibly' one of the best sites by an owner on here. I stress 'possibly'.
Alan Knighting

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garlic,

I think that Garri meant to point you to the following:-

http://www.westciv.com/index.html

The difference in spelling is small but very important.

If you adopt Style Master as your main application I don't think it matters that your version of Dreamweaver is a bit long in the tool - you will only be using it as an HTML editor rather than as a creator.

Alan
Garri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Alan, typo error! The mistake url is interesting in that it is powered by a very powerful cms package called Mambo.
How to build your own personal website from scratch