Website overhaul, all advice appreciated

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Ellery

Post by Ellery »

It helps tremendously, you are being very generous with your knowledge. I've been reading your blog and learned even more. I think people would benefit to read your views on gite blogging.

http://giteguru.com/2008/11/17/using-bl ... /#more-154

As a Mac user I have been coddled and don't have to deal with any of the mechanics like "web hosting". Mac is my web host that's why it took me so long to grasp Fantastico.

Would you mind letting me know if I've got this right?

1st - build a site on WP.org using their templates
2nd - purchase a hosting package like Bluehost for $5-10 a month
3rd - use Fantastico to download my Website onto my Host

The green pages are "old style" and will be changed when I've settled on a look. My front page used to be green too! I chose it because Stonington has so many lovely gardens, but I think it overwhelmed the eyes and frightened people off!

Dave, our friends have a place in Cordon, it's heaven. Tignes is nearby isn't it?

Thank you all!
Gite Guru

Post by Gite Guru »

thanks for your kind words.

here's your options:

Option 1: Hosted on wordpress.com
Head over to www.wordpress.com and sign up for a free blog. Your url will be http://rentalname.wordpress.com and if you decide to, you can 'forward' a more professional domain name to that URL. If you ever decide to move to option 2, I believe you can 'export' your blog posts and pages for use elsewhere.

Option 2: hosted on your own server
head over to www.wordpress.org and download the latest version of Wordpress. You'll then need to install it on your own server for which there are two options:

a. Use a cpanel tool such as fantastico which will do you a single click install of wordpress without worrying about how to create databases etc). Using this option, you'll probably need to update to the latest version of wordpress after install, but the upgrade is easier for a novice than creating a dbase (see b below)
b. Using cpanel or similar, create a database and user with all permissions, then fill out the dbase information required in the wp-config.php file and upload the lot into the folder of your website where you want and the site and blog to sit (usually root folder). You then just visit www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin and follow the instructions.

Bear in mind for option 2, you'll need a hosting solution with the ability to create dbases which your average cheapo free space solution might not provide.

I've not heard of Cordon, is it in the Alps? I tend to be a bit snow-blinded whenever I head up there (got some amazing powder earlier this month, think it's going to be an amazing season!)

kr,

Dave
Gite Guru

Post by Gite Guru »

incidentally, the post on my website you mentioned was written on Nov 17th and optimised to try to get myself found on google against the search term 'launch gite website'

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&clie ... tnG=Search

that's the power of blogging.
Ellery

Post by Ellery »

fabulous! and thanks for clarifying.

Cordon is up the "hill" from Sallanches and about 10km from Megeve. They call it the balcony of Mt. Blanc because it has a wonderful view of Mt. Blanc. Still, it's a tiny, lovely, very simple village, not at all like Megeve. We skied everyday, in the clouds!