Credit card payment?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Most of our guests send their card details divided between several emails. Some people phone to give their details. We are legally allowed to keep the card number and expiry date but we have to destroy the security code from the back of the card. Regular guests often say - 'just charge my card, you've got the details.'!
Windy

Post by Windy »

Well I have just signed up for a merchant account to accept Credit Cards. It's going to cost me a bout 1.5% of my turnover, but I think that may be a good bet just now as it will hopefully attract guests.

LV - You mention setting up a secure page to accept payments - can you point me at any instructions as to how to do this?

Margaret - How do you charge the card later if you've not got the 3 digit code any more? Do you have to store the numbers in some special safe way? Could I just add them to my spreadsheet (sounds a bit dodgy?)
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

You don't actually need the 3 digit security number to make the charge, only the card number and expiry date. It just gives extra security that someone has not just stolen the information from the front of the card, which is not usually relevant to us.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Windy wrote:
LV - You mention setting up a secure page to accept payments - can you point me at any instructions as to how to do this?
Hi Windy, I can't I'm afraid, I use Payboxmail and send out an email with the link to the secure server, it isn't actually on my site.
Windy

Post by Windy »

@ LV - Are they a card processor or do the just provide the secure page which you use with whatever card processor you are signed up with . It's annoying but I didn't think about having the customer input card details until AFTER I signed up! :cry:

Mind you if it's the latter it's a very expensive add-on to what I'll already be paying!

@ Margaret - Thanks - I guess the principle here is that if someone card can be charged in November and then again in May they can hardly claim it was nicked and used fraudulently?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Windy, if it is any use, my OH has just set up a website and the company who did his site put a secure payment page on. I could send you the details, but I'm sure it would cost you! It may be cheaper just to hire a bank machine.
Windy

Post by Windy »

LV - that's the point - I will have a bank machine into which I will have to Card Holder Not Present transactions - what I am trying to work out is the easiest and safest way(for both parties) for me to get hold of their credit card details. It seemed to me that this was perhaps to set up a secure page on my web site, but I have read that it is unadvisable to have an email based form to do this and to store data in a secure database (what's one of those then eh?).

Seem to be if I was a hacker I'd be better off targeting a database stuffed full of CC numbers than trying to intercept emails, but what would I know ;-)

Apart form the obvious - using the phone - what does anyone else with merchant accounts which don't provide for on-line processing do here?