What would you do? Haven't received booking form yet.

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Alan,

I agree.

Alexia,

I agree its unlikely that the booking will be lost but I do see how it can make the situation unnecessarily difficult for a one week event - not negating the debate above.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
accommodation-in-spain

Post by accommodation-in-spain »

Hi

I am right in thinking that when an e-mail is printed off them it is a legal document? If so you could e-mail the guests asking them to confirm that they agree to all the terms and conditions (and cut and paste the contact into the e-mail). When they reply print it off and there you have your legal document.

Good luck, I am sure it will all work out fine.

As another person said you could also then get the guests to sign the contact (or get your agent to ask them to) before the keys are handed out.
www.Costa-Luz-Holiday.com - your on-line holiday brochure for the Costa de la Luz
accommodation-in-spain

Post by accommodation-in-spain »

Sorry I meant to say 'Am I right in thinking ...' :oops:
www.Costa-Luz-Holiday.com - your on-line holiday brochure for the Costa de la Luz
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I don't know whether or not an e-mail is admissible evidence in a UK court. It didn't used to be, partly at least because it is not a signed document. The situation may be different nowadays.

On a purely practical note I think it is OK to have given your guests a copy of your Terms and Conditions. Most of the time we are talking about the relationship between owner and holiday maker. A written and signed contract really only comes into its own when going to court and how many of us or our visitors are going to do that?

Alan
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Alan , a friend of ours is project engineer on a well-known new football stadium. The constructors have asked for copies of all e-mails to use as evidence in a lawsuit. The engineers have all been advised to make their e-mails personal by adding 'fancy a pint after work' to the bottom. :roll:
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Helen,

If its the same new big football stadium I am thinking about then I personally know a number of the management and contractors there. And I can tell you no amount of pints of beer in written in emails or digested are going to save their rears ... that project is a case study in incompetence. :lol: disclosure : That company is a also a competitor to the one I work :twisted:
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Oh! dear. Sounds like something very unpleasant is going to hit the fan shortly.

What a field day my ex colleagues are going to have. Dispute resolution can be such a costly process.

Fully comprehensive contracts, not e-mails, are essential in circumstances like these.

Alan
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I am right in thinking that when an e-mail is printed off them it is a legal document? If so you could e-mail the guests asking them to confirm that they agree to all the terms and conditions (and cut and paste the contact into the e-mail). When they reply print it off and there you have your legal document.
When we send a booking form via email, our terms and conditions attached (as a continuation) so when our guests receive this they know that the T&C are attached. If someone requests a booking form via post, we also attach the T&C.

I really do not know the legalities of this via email, but just recently I have had to send an email to a guest confirming their holiday dates and payments (as a receipt to their insurance company) regarding their claim because they missed the first week of their holiday because of a death in the family. This was 4 weeks ago, so I assume my email was accepted as a legal document.

Alan, I do agree with you...we always make sure that the booking form is signed and returned to us. On the bottom of our booking form there is a statement (next to where they sign) that our guests have read and fully accepted our terms and conditions.. When people have been 'lazy' in sending in a booking form I always chase them as I like a signed copy in my file!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Crystal,
...we always make sure that the booking form is signed and returned to us. On the bottom of our booking form there is a statement (next to where they sign) that our guests have read and fully accepted our terms and conditions..
That's pretty much the way I do it. I'm providing a holiday for a week or two, not developing a supermarket complex.

Alan
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My hubby lost his camera when we stayed in a hotel recently. The insurance company accepted an e-mail from the hotel manager as proof we had reported it missing.
Marion

Post by Marion »

Oh dear! Am I unusual in that I don't ask for the contract to be signed and returned. I have the following in the contract:

'Thank you for your booking. We enclose your confirmation for the booked property and dates reserved. Please check the details carefully and advise us immediately of any errors as this document forms the basis of the contract between us.'

I then take the fact that the deposit is paid as proof that they agree.

When people ask for availability, in my return e-mail I ask them to supply their physical address with their confirmation. I then put this onto the booking form/contract. Until I have this I do not block out the booking.
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Marion,
You do need a booking form. We don't ask for it to be returned by snail mail: you can ask them to confirm by e-mail that they agree to your terms.
Best,
Alexia.
Jayjan

Post by Jayjan »

I have had experience of this having taken a booking for 6 people and then 13 turned up (as informed by our rep).. Now I insist that a booking form (with terms and conditions) is signed by the lead name, at least you have a come back on the parties should they abuse the contract. We actually kept the security deposit of £200 on this occasion but it still didnt cover the cost of another 7 people staying and the mess their kids left, but she sure was told that she wasnt welcome in our property again in the future.Regards Jayjan