Revamp awaits your comments

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
enid

Post by enid »

Thanks Brooke - I had tried that thismorning - looks fine on my screen but not on the PC so I'll fiddle with that some more. Can't believe I 'do code'!!!!Not tonight as I am poorly :cry:
enid

Post by enid »

I think I've done it now :)
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Yep, they're not overlapping anymore!

Now go back to bed -- you need your rest! :)
Brooke
marcus

Post by marcus »

the pictures are fixed width but the middle column is a %...so screen widths less than 1280px still dont work I think...better to make the middle column fixed width to be sure
enid

Post by enid »

Marcus I am really on a learning curve here - can you explain that a bit more? Please :)
marcus

Post by marcus »

When I make the visible screen smaller than 1280px it makes the middle column (and the two side columns) narrower - that means the 3 columns are defined as % widths - perhaps 25% of the visible screen for the two side columns and 40% of the visible screen for the middle column (and 10% for the space between the columns)
Now, the pictures are defined as fixed width 140px and the space between them as 25px or thereabouts....so as soon as the width of the middle column falls below the total width of the pictures and the spaces between them the pictures will be wider than the middle column is 'supposed' to be - and the fixed width will override the %.
So on screens less than 1280px (ie most screens) the total picture width is greater than the width of the middle column...so they push into the right hand column
There are 2 solutions. (1) Make the middle column fixed width, at least the width of 3 pictures + the space between them, or (2) make the width of the pictures a % so they get smaller when the screen is smaller.
The second method is easier, but pictures resized like that in a browser tend to look pretty poor quality.
The picture of the property top left is defined to be '100%' (of the column it is in) - so it shrinks when the screen shrinks.
You can try redefining the width of the pictures to be, perhaps, 30%, instead of 140 px - that should work, if changing the width of the middle column is too complicated
Hope that is clear!!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Enid, I didn't want to thread creep on the Blog topic, but just revisited your website after an absence - it's looking terrific, as are the properties. I think I see some photos of Stu's on the walls? Really smart.

And I'm so envious that you'll be able to offer pool heating this year.

Couple of little things I found - one is that the thumbnails don't always enlarge and show the same image. And it would be fantastic to have a gallery with all the images accessible. A link on the menu to some albums on Flickr peut-être?

We introduced one on our website after some feedback from a guest who said how great it would be to have one central point in which to review the images when browsing. :)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
enid

Post by enid »

Did you look at the new site -i.e. the draft? There is a gallery there and the only thumbnails that don't enlarge (to my knowledge) are a few on the region page.

http://peyrenegre.net.s47578.gridserver.com
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

No, thanks for that Enid. Only comment is that the gallery doesn't enlarge the images as much as they enlarge on the Flickr site (slideshow) itself, if that makes sense - seems a bit of a lost opportunity?
enid

Post by enid »

It's an embedded slideshow - we could have provided a link to Flickr but don't want people wandering off!!!!!! But you can enlarge it to full screen - see bottom right :D
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

enid wrote:we could have provided a link to Flickr but don't want people wandering off!!!!!!
:lol: Have faith Enid, have Faith! But I know what you mean, and thanks for pointing me to that little enlarge icon, silly me :roll: