Advice for a novice

For topics that are specific to mountain locations, please go here.
enid

Advice for a novice

Post by enid »

Tomorrow we are going to Genos in the Pyrenees for a few days with friends. i have never been in the mountains in the snow. We are trying snowshoes!!!!

Any tips for a novice?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Spend the first 30 minutes practising how to get up from the ground. Its not as easy as you think :lol:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Enid, we have our own snowshoes. I love it! I seem to remember taking big strides in them, don't try a skiing technique. I would get the ski lift up and walk down the side of the piste, through the woods and everything that skiers usually go to fast to miss.
enid

Post by enid »

Code: Select all

Its not as easy as you think
Now that doesn't surprise me!!!!
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Hi Enid

We have our own snowshoes too and love them. Just wear some good walking boots and ensure they're strapped on tight. They feel odd to begin with but you'll soon get into your stride (!).

It can warm you up so wear layers that you can take off and tie round your waist / shove in rucksacks if the sun's shining. And take water bottles.

Going down can be trickier than climbing up if very steep but they have spikes on the bottom so won't slip. Try to get some snowshoe itineraries from the local tourist office beforehand and ensure they're not too tough.

Saying that, taking a tough'ish short-cut climb up through a mountain forest with waterfalls and glacial streams is far more rewarding than just sticking to flat roads, so just go for it.

If you take any lifts up - ensure they know you're walking down as they probably won't charge you as much (they don't in our area).

Have fun and let us know what you thought of them :lol:

Beanie