Misrepresentation?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

And there was a marked absence of pool safety! Rien, nothing, nada, not a bean!!!
Renaud, please enlighten further. We have a private pool at our villa and know that pool regulations in France are different to that in Spain, so would be interested to know what was lacking.
Renaud

Post by Renaud »

so would be interested to know what was lacking
Err....everything, if you know what I mean!

Simply put: as a pool at a rented property they needed to have NOW at least one of the following:
1) a fence/wall with self-closing, self latching gates of correct height etc.
2) a conforming working alarm system
3) a conforming security cover (not summer cover)
4) a conforming abri (shelter), like a conservatory type of thing

Please, everyone, do not reply, fleshing out this basic detail, and promoting the merits or faults of these different options! Thats for another time, another place!

This is only relevant to France.

The property I visited had none of the above.

Our friends knew of our efforts on our own pools. We've bored them to death with it! They, personally, were not concerned by the lack of conformity as all of their party were adult and able swimmers. But they did ask the owners, saying that they had heard that there were new rules for pools. The owners claimed that the pool was their private pool. And they were inviting them to use it as personal guests, so therefore were not covered by these rules. Patent nonsense! And they knew it.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

OK thanks....no rules here in Spain (as yet) but I'm sure there will be changes. We're looking into a pool alarm, so any advice gratefully accepted.
Renaud

Post by Renaud »

Personally Crystal, I would say that if you don't need to go down this road, then don't!
It's a complete minefield.
And, seriously, to fully understand the 'ins and outs' of pool safety took me over a year. And I can safely say that I'm not stupid. Countries all over the world have grappled with this, and the answers have been varied, and sometimes contradictory.
The issues are highly emotive and involve human life and the responsibility of others to safeguard it.
Enter at your peril!!!
evabal

Post by evabal »

Renaud:

(again: I am very new to this site as a member but snooping around for a long time. I live in Canada but i have a small apartment theat I rent out in Budapest.)

What I found that on many websites the owner put their apartments (in my case) to the category where it does not belong. Example on one website few owners put their listing into the Budapest category although their places were in some cases 80 km from Budapest (Ok so that one maybe is a real error). 3 ads were clearly not from Budapest but 10-18 km from Budapest. Their description is very misleading and because their price is way better than a similar apartment in downtown, obviously they get the booking. I can not complain as I am ver much booked (wih my strategically very low intro prices. I opened my place in August) but I can see some people are hurting becaus of that. I did bring up the issue with the website. So far no answer.

Eva