Iowners websites

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

thanks BC that worked!!!
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi Beachcomber - love the avatar and welcome to the forum - I missed your previous 7 posts somehow! Agree about MG's site, it's really cool. But MG, (continuing to thread creep for a mo,) what's with the Clustr maps at the foot of the page? Just wondered as it doesn't work in that well, and isn't of interest to a potential punter - or is it? Should I have one too? :)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Garri

Post by Garri »

I said earlier that you could pay to remove the ads, but it seems you can't.

I've also noticed that whenever you click on a thumbnail in the Gallery it pops up and that annoying Lexus ad is displayed in the pop up under the photo. What's worse is the ad is delivered using Flash!

Sure, it's free, but you're having to compromise when you could download a free piece of kit such as Word Press which is SEO'd out of the box. Use the free All In One SEO plugin and you'll really start rocking!

MG, your site isn't entirely de-blogged and you could get more Google juice if you wrote some articles about your area, on your blog, on a regular basis. Needn't be long-winded but at least would keep your site fresh, and be useful for punters into the bargain.

Might be worth getting into that habit.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I'm keen to get cracking on a proper wordpress site myself, but don't seem to have the time now. I've got a wordpress.com site, but I hit a snag uploading wordpress.org to 1and1, and gave up.
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

I said earlier that you could pay to remove the ads, but it seems you can't.

You can :D
I've also noticed that whenever you click on a thumbnail in the Gallery it pops up and that annoying Lexus ad is displayed in the pop up under the photo. What's worse is the ad is delivered using Flash!
I don't have it :wink:
Sure, it's free, but you're having to compromise when you could download a free piece of kit such as Word Press which is SEO'd out of the box.

Garri, up to now I haven't really made any comments when people run the iowners site down because I'm not at all techie, have made a hash of the Microsoft Live site I was trying to set up and really couldn't be asked to get into an arguement with people that know far more than I do about websites. But on this occasion I've decided to reply! I'm sure there are far better free websites but for me and many other people this site works well, I actually find it quite attractive (for someone who doesn't know any better) :wink: I'm fairly high ranking in the searches and have had a lot of bookings through them :D

I've never put my site up for review in case it would be picked to pieces although I'm sure you could make a better job of it, but I'm getting bookings through it and surely that's what it's all about?
Garri

Post by Garri »

alifrank1 wrote:I'm fairly high ranking in the searches and have had a lot of bookings through them
That's great but, apart from panic, what will happen when you don't rank so high and the bookings drop? Rankings in search engines aren't set in stone ;-)
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Garri wrote:
alifrank1 wrote:I'm fairly high ranking in the searches and have had a lot of bookings through them
That's great but, apart from panic, what will happen when you don't rank so high and the bookings drop? Rankings in search engines aren't set in stone ;-)
I have paid sites :wink:
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

I'm afraid the iowners site does nothing more than allow me to show some more photos. Observations after around 18 months of having a site are:

1) Never had a 'genuine' iowners enquiry i.e I know that of the maybe 5 enquiries I've had they have clicked through from one of my paid sites.

2) Around 80% of guests who've booked haven't even clicked on to the iowners link, so obviously aren't bothered about seeing a website (yes, I know it's just iowners but they probably don't know the difference)

However, having tried to build a site using the same software as TP it was a total disaster & after a whole day of 'messing' all I ended up with were a couple of pictures with a bit of text all over the place. On that basis I'm with Ali, all power to your elbow if you can do it but I am and will continue to be in total awe, some of us cannot do it :cry:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

what's with the Clustr maps at the foot of the page? Just wondered as it doesn't work in that well, and isn't of interest to a potential punter

You're right GG, almost totally useless, and I'll probably ditch it. It was fun to start with, although clicking on it does give some more info. Maybe there's a more advanced version?

MG
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Took me a mo to realise Clustr shows location of visitors to the website, not visitors to the chalet. You had my eyes watering there, MG :lol:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

RR, you've spoilt it!

Who else has visitors from Tierra del Fuego, Easter Island and Vladivostok? :lol:

I see the scammers from W. Africa show up nicely....

Actually, that's Hawaii isn't it? Not Easter Island - my geography's up the spout.

MG
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I know this thread is ages old but in case alifrank is not watching my new IO thread elsewhere - could you tell me now much of the package you took to get the results - did you take the SEO?
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Hi Pepsi

I was actually asked to take part in the focus group when they were improving their site so I have the whole package as they were trying everything out. I do have the SEO and I believe it has helped.
MarieSatz

Your website

Post by MarieSatz »

You have a beautiful property. And I most liked the slide show. I don't like the picture layout before you hit slideshow, but once the show starts it is great.

I'm not sure, but I think maybe the print is a bit small. It is a bit hard to read.

Marie
http://alohafamilyproperties.webs.com