Another Gite Guru website

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Thomas BC

Another Gite Guru website

Post by Thomas BC »

When I started out in holiday rentals I thought given the number of gites and B&Bs in Normandy there was no way I was going to get anywhere near page one on google, except for highly specific search terms. And that is pretty much how my website performed.

But in the last year or so I noticed the increase on OD and HR (my two paid rental listing sites) in the number of gites to rents and B&Bs in this part of Normandy alone. I realised I need to do something. I started a wordpress blog, but I soon appreciated its limitations, as so many had already pointed out in various threads here. I was still sceptical, or I thought it could only be done by employing a fulltime webmaster. Although I must admit it was the various threads on the making of Tansy's site that made me think more positively.

I got in touch with GG2, and he convinced me to give it a go. In about 10 days he gave me a great website with so much more than I had before, and a position on page one of google for some relevant and general search terms, such as:
gite with swimming pool in Normandy,
gites with swimming pool in Normandy

and others. I can not recommend GG2 enough - not only did he produce a great website, but he showed me how I can take more control of it, and get the kind of rankings I once thought impossible.

And the good news is I have already had my first enquiry, booking and payment through my new site ... but that was thanks to a recommendation from NC, not via a google search :D :D

So here it is:
http://luxurynormandygite.com

(I am waiting for my original domain name - the name of the hamlet I am in - to point there too.)

So at last I am very happy with my website - and would appreciate your feedback.

Many thanks, and thanks again to Gite Guru!
Thomas
marcus

Post by marcus »

It's a very nice site indeed, and a good example of why it's worth paying for someone with experience to do a website.

That tripadvisor review widget is a great idea, as is using a google widget for availability.

If I was to make a negative comment it would be that the main picture looks lacks sharpness slightly. I realise the filesize has been kept quite low, so perhaps you're just thinking of the poor souls still on dial up...

But that's just me being niggly and looking for faults where there are none. Great job, well done to both of you!

ps you should link to it from forums etc with gite with swimming pool in Normandy etc rather than the domain name. :wink:
Normandy Cow

Re: Another Gite Guru website

Post by Normandy Cow »

Thomas BC wrote:but that was thanks to a recommendation from NC, not via a google search :D :D
Happy to help out Thomas! And she in turn got to me from Sawdays... :D I think it's good that we are working together, as neighbours, not as rivals!

But OMG - you really have raised the bar with your new website! I am going to have to do some serious work on mine now....! :wink: :lol:
Gite Guru

Post by Gite Guru »

Hey thomas thanks for the big up. i'm blushing... or is that sun burn!?

it's been fun working on this together, you're fast becoming a Wordpress guru yourself!

kr,

GG2
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Great site GG, and a lovely place Thomas

Hope you get lots of bookings :)
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

How did you manage the Trip Advisor box (widget?). We tried doing this a while back and could get the whole entry onto our web page which was obviously no good. Now we just have a text hyperlink.
Thomas BC

Post by Thomas BC »

Thank you all for your kind comments. Yes, I am hoping that 'raising my bar' will bring in more bookings. I started to get worried when most of my bookings were from repeats or recommendations. A number of people have said on other threads, enquiries are increasingly coming through websites. I think I was just invisible in the great big HR and even OD. [When I started in Jan 2005 with OD, there were under 20 places in my area - now there are many more, and many many more on HR.] So a google visibility today is crucial. And I am a SEO convert, its not hocus pocus, even I can do it.

But NC, I think it was you who raised the bar with your video! I have a long way to go :)

Regarding image size, thanks for the warning Marcus. I am on dialup (broadband stops two kms down the road :evil: ), so it not only takes hours for me to upload those images, I also can not see what they look like to those who live in the 21st Century. I did have friends here when I uploaded the pics, who compared them back in the UK, and they said they were not as pixelated as they are on my computer. I will look into this more. Perhaps I can take a CD into an internet cafe and replace the images.

The tripadvisor widget is great - I got the idea from Cassis's website, I think it was. But I prefer the one he has - but that did not seem available any more.

Here is how I got to it:
Go to the page for your place.
Scroll down to the bottom, where it asks 'Do you own Basse Copette?'
Click on 'Start here - visit your owners page'
Then you will see: Feature TripAdvisor Content on Your Site
and there are three options three different types of boxes you can include on your site, - you can click on preview buttons, 'See preview (and get your code)' and on that preview page you will see a box with the code, and above that button there is a click for options link (e.g. how many reviews you want to see on your site).

It is easy to install - not sure how to install it on a traditional website, but on Word press you just add a text widget to your side bar, give it a title, and add the code to the text box. et voila!

Gite Guru: i'm blushing... or is that sun burn!?
Oh, you fell asleep in the sun after drinking all that South African lager you bought with your eBay winnings then :lol: :lol: Thanks for your all help GG2 :wink:

Thomas
Gite Guru

Post by Gite Guru »

it's not just the sun that's stronger in South Africa...
cambalala

Post by cambalala »

Gite Guru wrote:it's not just the sun that's stronger in South Africa...
Hope you're enjoying your stay in the Mother City. I trust you will post a full trip review on the TA forums after?

Make sure you get to the Kruger if you get little time to spare you can fly to KMIA (Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport) aka Nelspruit Airport direct form Capetown with saairlink.

Also dont be shy to use the low cost airlines: Mango, Kulula and 1time - to get around SA for pop-over visits to other areas. They're much better than the likes of easyjet and Ryanair. - In terms of being able to choose your own seats at check in etc.

If you decide to visit the Kruger and need a place to stay in the area, let me know and I'll give you a special LMH price ;-) or organise with someone else in the area if I dont have space.

--- and there I was, just going to stop at "Hope you're enjoying your stay in the Mother City".

Anyhoo... have a lekker trip and be sure to keep us updated.
www.cambalala.com - 3D Virtual Tour
Website On: Wordpress.
Booking Software: PIMS) - Yay!
Gite Guru

Post by Gite Guru »

oh i'm loving it. been playing tennis at lunch time on our private court followed by a dip in the pool. Our hosts took me for an orienteering race this afternoon through Constantia which nearly killed me (8km run in 32 degrees when you've not been for over a year is pushing it a bit!) but with amazing wines to relax with in the evening for just over £1 a bottle.... i'm sure the legs won't ache too much.

Will deffo bear your offer in mind, we were considering a trip to Kruger at some point so it's a definite possibility (and your place looks amazing!)

kr,

GG2 (with new, improved GG2 profile image)
cambalala

Post by cambalala »

Gite Guru wrote:oh i'm loving it. been playing tennis at lunch time on our private court followed by a dip in the pool.
Now theres the January months activities that I know and miss. (One of the many reasons I am moving back to SA this year).
Gite Guru wrote: Our hosts took me for an orienteering race this afternoon through Constantia which nearly killed me (8km run in 32 degrees when you've not been for over a year is pushing it a bit!)
Lol... you wont be running around my neck of the woods with Temps peaking at 40+ degrees. ;-)
Gite Guru wrote: but with amazing wines to relax with in the evening for just over £1 a bottle.... i'm sure the legs won't ache too much.
Theres another reason. lol
Gite Guru wrote: Will deffo bear your offer in mind, we were considering a trip to Kruger at some point so it's a definite possibility (and your place looks amazing!)
Good stuff. Even if you dont stay at my place you absolutely HAVE to go out that way. You cannot visit SA without visiting Kruger. Its just not cricket!

Take care and enjoy the stay.
Gite Guru

Post by Gite Guru »

hmmm, wife seems to be less keen on entering the malaria belt with 17 month child in tow... how risky is it?
cambalala

Post by cambalala »

Gite Guru wrote:hmmm, wife seems to be less keen on entering the malaria belt with 17 month child in tow... how risky is it?
according to: http://www.malaria.org.za/Malaria_Risk/ ... aria08.pdf

Hazyview is low risk. (not no risk) Which is why my sister does not take her little one there in summer time.

That being said though, we have had loads of guests all year round with toddlers.

...and that also being said.

Would I visit in peak summer time if I had a toddler? Probably not. - Any risk (even low risk) is too much risk for kids under 5 as far as I'm concerned.
Thomas BC

Post by Thomas BC »

I have just had my first booking from a Parisian couple who want a weekend break - and they found me via google on one of my search terms - so I am now feeling very happy - thanks again GG2!

As one who was a bit sceptical of SEO for my place in Normandy (I never tought I would be able to compete ranking-wise against the many others on the web), I have now been monitoring the traffic to my website more closely than I normally do. Its great to be found by as many unique visitors via google (and 1 from ask) as from OwnersDirect. And that is only looking at the 'relevant' traffic, not counting the person from India who wanted an apartment in Rouen (search term on google: apartment to rent rouen owner direct), or the three people who were looking for a recipe for 'normandy apple tart'. Before now I was only being looked for/found on google if someone knew the name of the hamlet I am in (i.e. repeats/recommendations/people seeing the name on my listing-site ads). So at last I have more than an expensive brochure :D :D

I did optimise for 'swimming pool' - but as Olive suggested in another thread, she would not use swimming pool, but only pool. I have yet to have anyone use swimming in a search for a place with a pool.

I have been fortunate in having my site move up google's page ranking - and have finally made it to the top spot for a few phrases (the one that brought me a booking this am in fact) - and I am sure that is because I am posting new material daily (and using GG2's guidance for maximising on that - the same tips that appeared in the TOP 50 SEO Tips posted here by Marcus).

So now I have that age old issue - having gotten the horse to the water trough, how do you make it drink :wink: