Spring is here - almost!

For anything to do with the garden and pool
pambon

Spring is here - almost!

Post by pambon »

Today is the 2nd day in which we definitely feel the spring warmth, the spring air and hear the spring sounds.

We have the blue tits busily inspecting our 2 nesting boxes, much to the disgust of our 3 cats who look on longingly :P
and I am going to plant up 2 creepers along the perimeter railings and, time permitting, put down some fertilizer.

Can't wait to plant some colour in my raised bed. I planted some tulips/daffys/freesias & snowdrops last autumn for late winter & spring colour, but the daffys are just long (very) leaves, the snowdrops have done absolutely nothing (maybe too much rain even for them - it's been SO wet this winter) one tulip is just making it's appearance and also several freesias.

I'm not good with either seeds or bulbs. Can only manage plants already growing in their pots.... :oops:

Now I'm off to dirty my hands :lol:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

we definitely feel the spring warmth
Same here, although there's still a chill in the air early morning/late evening. First mowing on Wednesday, driving around on the tractor yesterday in shorts and T-shirt . Lunch in the garden. Dogs sleeping outside in the sunshine. Even Monsieur Grumpy further down the valley said 'peut-etre' when I said Spring had arrived.

Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:lol: Sounds promising there you two - here's hoping Britain isn't far behind!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Martha

Post by Martha »

The snow doesn't melt till around April for us :) I can feel it here in the UK for sure, though - going to get some plants tomorrow!
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
J&J

Post by J&J »

Epping Forest was covered with a blanket of purple crocuses on our dog walk this morning, and guess what ...... the musical ice cream van has been round every afternoon this week!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Judith & James
Apartment in Dinard, Brittany.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

What a cheery sound, I'm sure that's been lifting the locals' spirits Judith!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
enid

Post by enid »

Gorgeous few days here in SW France. Set to change tomorrow I think but the warm sunshine sure does raise the spirits! :D
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

I'm with Martha - still got over half a metre of snow in our Swiss garden and in London we've got the sun struggling to push through but not quite winning. A balmy 11 degrees outside though which is better than it has been.

Would be nice if we actually have a summer in the UK this year.

Beanie
kteee

Post by kteee »

Spring starts in late January here, with the arrival of the almond blossom - we had an unusually wet winter, but the past few weeks have been beautiful, and we haven't had a log fire on in the evenings for almost a fortnight
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

kteee I hope you are beginning to get up and about now. Almond blossom in January, my word, we're at least a month off of that.

Pambon It was gorgeous here today, but ends tomorrow when the rain begins and doesn't stop for days.

The daffs I moved will open any day now, so don't understand why yours aren't. Did you talk to them? We're ready to start planting but must hold off, sadly as it's still too early, but will go hell for leather when the time comes. You can plant most things in pots as long as they are sun tolerent and you keep them watered. Why not try some succulents as they need very little water or attention and always look nice.

Happy gardening
Chianti

Tecno twit, but I can tie my shoes !
pambon

Post by pambon »

Almond blossom, beautiful. End of January for that here too.
The mimosa has been out a while too.

Local gardeners have just pruned the bouginvillae & jasmine and I did my hibiscus trees last week. Saw some primroses and petunias planted in pots on my walk home this evening. So pretty I may copy that for my planters on the terrace outside our bedroom french windows (always looking for new ideas) which I've neglected over the last year or so.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

There are some daffodils out now, but the primroses are very late this year. Normally the banks are full of them by now but not this year. The grass needs cutting but I don't want to do it with gite guests sitting outside and making the most of this lovely sunny weather - it was 17°c here today. Our sunshine is due to last until Monday, then lots of rain forecast :(
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Pambon, you too. How nice to have flowers opening and blooms coming out now. It's too early for Mimosa here, we'll have to wait about another 2 weeks.

La Vache, they've forcast rain here for the next 3 days starting tomorrow, boo hoo. I'll have to start sewing, not a lot to do in heavy rain.
Chianti

Tecno twit, but I can tie my shoes !