Changeover day - to compromise or...

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

ugggh. I keep going back and forth too...someone just asked for June 28-July 5 - Sun.-Sun...next guests arrive the 11th (Sat.), so, could loose that week...or maybe find someone happy for 6 nights...no way to tell this soon!
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

the end of August when it was really hard to fill the last week.
This has been my nemesis every year since starting renting. Last year it went to a Portuguese family with a heavy discount as they wanted first week September too. I looked upon it as glass half full i.e full rate for the last August week and virtually free week in September seeing as I don't sell alot of September anyway :wink:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Ok ok I gave in :oops:

Up till Friday I only had the first 2 weeks in July booked, so effectively the school hols still unbooked.

On Friday a past guest contacted me wanting 16 nights 14-30th August. It put me in a mild panic but a) the last week of August is always tricky for me b) I checked my enquiries and out of the 10 I've had in the last month 6 have not wanted Saturday arrivals c) I lost a possible 2-3 weeker on Thursday by not allowing Monday arrival.

Soooo I bit the bullet and said yes to my past guest. I then hastily rang my 'lost' booking from Thursday and told them of my dilema but they could go in on a Monday if they left on Friday 14th. They rang today and said YES but the flights were better to leave on Thursday 14th so they would still pay up to Friday if they could leave Thursday evening :lol:

A huge gamble I know but these 2 bookings are worth 34 days (18 + 16) and I'm saving a fortune on 90 euro change over costs. I now have just a 9 day slot to fill and hopefully it will go even if I take 7 days with the option of a Sat/Sun/Mon arrival.

At least I'm not in quite such the panic that I was in before :shock:

la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I think you've done the right thing,Party, a bird in the hand and all that. Not quite the same thing, but I took an 11 day booking in June from repeat guests, charged a bit more than the prorated half a week for the 4 days, but not as much as I would have done for a 2 week period. Yesterday I had a booking for the 3 unoccupied nights which I charged a good price for so I've ended up with more than I would have done if I'd let for 2 weeks :D Never say never with flexible dates - I'm always flexible in May and I have a lot of little bookings which I charge a premium for as there are a lot of holiday week-ends in France. The odd days in the week usually get booked too.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Fantastic results Party. Being flexible clearly helps in today's market, though it's risky as you say if you end up having awkward gaps. Great when you find flexi-guests too! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Well done Partie, I think you did the right thing, it's definitely worth taking risks sometimes. I've always been flexible with dates and I'm surprised how many people phone me to make sure it's ok for them to come mid week even though I state it in my ads. The past couple of years I've been lucky and not had many gaps. This year I have a few gaps that I won't fill because my prices are low and it's not worth my while as I don't make enough money on just a few odd days. I think in this present climate it's worth changing attitudes to help people out and it's certainly worked in your favour :D
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

If I remember rightly LV and Ali you get more French and different nationalities than I do, so possibly easier to fill odd days. I tend to get the Brit minimum 1 week stay and up to this year the enquiries have always been majority Sat-Sat, although I always get enough mid week enquiries to make me want to wobble.

I'ts only the 6 week school hols I don't do mid week, it's the only period I am able to get a good rate for.

Just realised, it was mentioned about being asked more for longer breaks on another thread and yes, these 2 were longer and I had another enquiry a couple of weeks ago from someone wanting 3 weeks peak season (again mid week).

alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Partridge wrote:If I remember rightly LV and Ali you get more French and different nationalities than I do, so possibly easier to fill odd days.
I only get Brits in my apartment and they are mainly retired or middle aged couples, so I probably don't have the same criteria as you. Most of mine are very happy to go away midweek as flights are cheaper then. I suppose with a larger property you are more likely to get families/groups of friends, that have to take work/school into consideration.
Chalet girl

flexible changeover days

Post by Chalet girl »

we like to be flexible with changeovers and so far have had no problems with hardly any gaps last year for peak and mostly Thursday, Tuesday or Saturday changeovers but I know our cleaner (we are not on site ) does not like to work Sundays so I always check with her if we get a request for a Sunday change.
Hubby would take just about any booking requested but I draw the line sometimes, someone wanted a 3 day booking ending on Boxing day which would have spoilt the chance to get a 7 day booking, so I declined and now I have Christmas week booked with the rental ending on the 27th Dec.....much more acceptable for our cleaner and also maximises getting another weeks booking for the New Year :D
Cosy Alpine chalet, Kamnik Alps, Slovenia.
www.pureslovenia.com
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

I love the flexible bookings but really have to, because guests fly in from all directions, even as far as Milan. Last year had only 1 same day change-over, this year there are more and the stress will be unbearable as I may not get help from others in our village. I love a few days gap between bookings, especially as our season seems to be longer than many.
Chianti

Tecno twit, but I can tie my shoes !
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

We were flexible last year, and will be this. Were looking forward to a day or so gap in between for more leisurely changeovers, but as it turned out we had seven weeks of back to back bookings, but only one Saturday amongst it.

I do it all myself too Chianti, so I'm with you on the stress thing.
tansy

Post by tansy »

we're flexible on our 1 bed units... and end up with gaps... but because it is where we live it's quite nice to have a break for a couple of days ...

Our main beach houses are Saturdays set in stone and nothing shorter than a week... it works for us... but I would love to change to another day for changeovers but every year I am dictated by the 1st booking and it is ALWAYS Saturday even though the ferries are cheaper mid week... it is bizarre but no matter how I try I cannot change :(
it's all a learning curve!