When do you put out the garden furniture?

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Musetta

When do you put out the garden furniture?

Post by Musetta »

I had planned on gardening and putting everything out before Easter...

well...have guests checking in tomorrow (in NJ) and it is rotten and cold and raining ;-( just checked the 10 day forecast and the very highest is is supposed to get to is 16c (tomorrow is high of 10c and low of 3c :-( ) to me, that is freezing....but...what do you think? would someone want to sit outside at 16c? I was hesitant to put out all the chairs, etc. because they'll get soaked sitting out in this weather...do you think it's rude if I just tell them that the garden chairs and tables are in the garage and to please feel free to take them out if the sun peeks out during the stay?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't take mine in, just leave it out all year. It is alu/mesh and glass so doesn't matter, and saves a lot of time each year that I used to take putting away and getting out the old wooden furniture. Mine has already been used as we had quite a few nice days in March/April and guests were also barbecuing.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

As a general rule of thumb, we tell the punters if they can dig the furniture out, they're welcome to use it. The snow's down to a metre or so now and some odds and ends are beginning to appear. :lol:

GoatCam

MG
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

do you think it's rude if I just tell them that the garden chairs and tables are in the garage and to please feel free to take them out if the sun peeks out during the stay?
I wouldnt like to have to do that, and would maybe feel that you dont really want me to use them.
You cant really worry about the weather, as its sure to rain etc during the season anyway, so chairs are going to get wet.
I do the same as Susan[and like her have easy care furniture that withstands the weather quite well]
I leave my garden chairs out all year at home as well and often sit on them, even in the winter.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

because they'll get soaked sitting out in this weather
We find that it's the sun, not the rain, that's the real killer for plastic garden furniture - makes it dull and brittle. The furniture that remains under cover keeps its new appearance and lasts far longer. Our plan was to gradually replace all our inherited outside plastic furniture with 'better' stuff but, such is the relentless hammering meted out to the poor old chairs, loungers and tables, we are reluctant to spend the cash. We did replace all our wooden stemmed parasols with steel ones because guests ignored all requests to close them at night and the wind regularly broke them at 50 Euros a throw.

Replacing broken or damaged garden and pool stuff is a significant and annoying annual expense.

Jim
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

We find that it's the sun, not the rain, that's the real killer for plastic garden furniture - makes it dull and brittle.
Thats True Jimbo, and was exactly the problem I used to have re melting patio chairs. Also the way that the furniture was used.Everytime we visited we spent endless days[and cash] replacing all the broken/worst for wear chairs.
Since weve replaced them with sturdier Mesh and coated metal ones[not expensive either]weve had none of these problems.

The tables are heavy duty glass ones and theyve been fine as well..
In fact they look so impressive that someone had knicked one when we were last out :shock: [No I dont think someone had popped it into their suitcase by mistake :roll: :wink: ] A passer by I reckon!! So that had to be replaced...they might come back for the chairs to make up the full set.[I know what id like to do with the Parasol though :evil:]
But I will still leave them out the front and the back of the houses!!
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

I really like the look of your chair and table sets, Big Sis, and recall where you purchased them from a previous thread.
Unfortunately, here in CDS, the price is the same per chair for the same model in the same shop - as you paid for the entire set with table, for chairs and brolley ! I checked about three months ago. They do look sturdy but it will cost me a couple of thousand to get the sets I need. :(
If you hear of any in a sale - please let me know.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Actually theyre not on offer anymore[was such a bargain] and I know what your saying :roll:
We paid more to replace the table as the whole set cost us.
Hubby thought I was mad, buying 6 sets at the time, 6 tables 24 chairs 6 parasols, but what a good move that was!!

If I ever see them on offer again I will give you a shout!!
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

.. sorry, back to Musetta's question.
We have all our garden furniture out and there is a shelter to put the sunbed mats/ chair pads etc., in to if it rains, not that guests bother I'm afraid, but then, they are the ones who get wet bottoms the next day :lol:
When the furniture is all packed up, ours looks rather univiting.
We do put them away during the heavy winter rains though ie. when nobody would wish to sit outside anyway.
I have lost count how many umbrellas we have lost because guests won't close them down after use. They go flying away in high summer when little dust tornados pop up out of nowhere as well as in winter with normal winds.
We have installed heavy canvas shades in most areas now that cannot be destroyed by the wind. They are on a runner system - the type you see in restaurants - if guests forget to pull them in, the wind harmlessly whistles through them.
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

Thankyou Ros, I will do the same for you if I spot them. :lol: You certainly scooped a bargain there.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Regardless of the time of year, if we have punters in then the garden furniture is out. I think it sets the scene even when it's raining that the weather is a one-off and you would normally be able to use it.
Cheers
PC
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

ok, ok - thanks :-) Outdoor stuff necessary for UK guests ;-)

I do put it out and leave it out all season (April-Nov.)...but...seriously, it snows a LOT in winter and it would ruin it to leave out all winter...no one is going to sit outside at -17c ;-)....so was waiting for Spring to put out...the rain doesn't ruin it...just that the furniture is regular outdoor cushions and not plastic...so...if it is raining for days when they arrive, would be wet and icky to sit on later in the week if the sun comes out!

p.s. although...now that I look through, you are all in "sun holiday" type locations...except MG of course ;-) and not dealing with below freezing temps. still (I hope!). Thankfully, no one comes to NYC for the sun ;-) and no one seems to mind the weather here (unlike in Italy where they all expect sun every single day!)
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

OMG!!! It is SNOWING outside. REALLY. I have never heard of SNOW here for Easter!!! oh...how I DREAD the feedback form my Easter guests!!!!!!!!
pambon

Post by pambon »

Musetta - it's not your fault if it's snowing - but maybe that solves your problem :)

I keep my furniture out all year since I have nowhere to store it so bought a fairly expensive painted metal expanding table and 6 chairs; the only things that come in are the 6 cushions :!: I also find the heavy furniture good in our strong winds; I get my neighbours plastic chairs being blown onto the patio of my rental instead :lol: (also had one of his plants blown down outside the bedroom window :!: )

The sun is deadly for plastic materials I would always recommend paying more for long lasting external furniture (you don't have to put it away in the winter then).