How do you handle an enquiry from non English speaking?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Jenroy

How do you handle an enquiry from non English speaking?

Post by Jenroy »

OK the scenario is that we have received an enquiry for our villa in Italy and it is from an Italian (close your eyes Musetta). :lol:

I have been able to translate and correspond over price, availability and other matters, but now need to forward our booking form, which is in English.

Any advice on this do we just send out the booking form and leave them to have it translated or have others gone to the expense of translating it for them?

Any help appreciated.
Giuliana

Post by Giuliana »

you need to get it translated in Italian.
We have got 1 in English and 1 in Italian.
If they are not Italian we send the English one pretty standard stuff and they always sign it and send it back.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I'm sure Giuliana is correct about it needed to be in Italian for Italians...it's the law in Italy that if you are a non-Italian speaker, you must hire a translator for any legal document to be considered valid...would think, if anything happened and anything went to the courts, it would work the other way in their favor as well as they would claim they didn't understand...have someone do it up in Italian :-) (even if it is s shortened, basic version)
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

I'm sure Musetta is right
Chianti

Tecno twit, but I can tie my shoes !
Jenroy

Post by Jenroy »

Thank you very much for your speedy replies. I have just arranged for a translation to be done.

Another Italian enquiry just received, but the dates have been taken che peccato

Ciao
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

That's excellent! I think you are in a different situation than some of us in Italy as you are located in SUCH a popular beach holiday area for Italians. (and, BTW,I would probably reconsider my attitude toward renting to Italians is my place was in a beach hot spot...the Italians I would get would be visiting relatives, returning to there home town, etc. - so, a different market)
pambon

Post by pambon »

Hi Jenroy! Certainly should have all T&C's etc in Italian.

Good to hear that things are moving for you - right on the beach is perfect for holidaying Italians.

Nothing moving down this way..... :cry:
Jenroy

Post by Jenroy »

Just an update to let you know that the booking form/agreement has been translated and sent.

Received a part completed form - no address completed and money transferred as promised.

Before I write back requesting address details is it normal to request details of the renter's codice fiscale?
pambon

Post by pambon »

If the guy renting wants or needs to deduct the rental expense on his tax forms then yes. It could also be a form of security that your renter wants, just to make sure you are who you say you are. If he's really nasty, then he could report you to the tax authorities etc if you don't provide it, believing you are 'in nero' :twisted:

If they ask for a 'fattura' (bill) you may have to have a 'partita IVA' (VAT number) as a small business, although I think you have to have an income over a certain amount to qualify, in that case your fiscal code should be sufficient.

My two nextdoor neighbours both have VAT numbers since they each have numerous apartments (one has five and other has in total around here 11 I think) with relatively high annual incomes.

You should really consult a tax expert/accountant about your situation as your earning property is in Italy regardless of whether the rent is being paid to you here or elsewhere.
Jenroy

Post by Jenroy »

Thanks Pambon for the information, but I think I got the question the wrong way round. Should we be asking the guest's codice fiscale details?
pambon

Post by pambon »

Yes, if you are declaring your income. You should also get identity details from ID cards/passports etc from ALL your guests and fill in the appropiate 'schedine' for the police.

You may be harbouring terrorists/mafiosi etc :oops: