Sorry guys - another request to review a website

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
7 driver

Sorry guys - another request to review a website

Post by 7 driver »

I would be grateful for any feedback on my site, positive or negative. Admittedly one or two links are not working, particularly on the photo gallery side of things of my new listings.

Also the french isn't brillant where it appears and I would like to find a good reasonably priced translator (person not a program) for the description paragraphs on each house as these need correcting and spicing up. I think the info under the accommodation heading is pretty uniform and I can deal with that.

OK fellow members - I am ready for the onslaught - might need a vodka after!

Oh by the way my site is:

http://www.varvacance.com
and I thought I'd come here to retire....

http://www.varvacance.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

OK, you did ask.

For me, the side-bar menu is far too long and the mixture of English and French is confusing. If possible I would split the site into an English Version and a French version.

I would be tempted to group individual items into a pull-down menu system.

As you are offering many personal services, to further personalise the site I would add your name to the details.

Other than that, I like what I see.

Alan
7 driver

Many thanks

Post by 7 driver »

Hello Alan,

Many thanks for your comments. I agree the side back is far too long, but am unsure how I can change it as it the site is a one where you just fill in the templates. The main header of each page is registered on the sidebar.

Maybe the time has come to have a site built to order.

Regards
Cathy
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Cathy,

Templates are absolutely fine for "standard" websites but not for "special" ones like yours.

"Built to order" would be good but could be expensive. If you have the time and the inclination you could give Style Master and a good HTML editor and a good graphics package a try. Not free and certainly time consuming but, an alternative.

Why not PM Tony (livinginitaly)? He is always prepared to offer advice to fellow members. He was very heavily involved in the creation of Tansie's new Website.

Alan
Ju

Post by Ju »

Hi Cathy

Nice simple site, just a couple of comments:

On the top of the left hand menu bar you have the details of the comanys (holiday homes for rent etc) I would move this into the main page and have it as your main title. Your address and telephone number could be put at the bottom of the page.

On the first page you address the owners before the holiday makers, I would change this over, property owners will look down to find more information, holiday makers won't so they need to know straight away that they have found the right site for them.

Hope this helps.

Ju
Garri

Post by Garri »

On the first page you address the owners before the holiday makers
A common problem this, on listing sites. Mixed focus = no focus. The emphasis is on owners so as a holiday maker I would be able to sense that and move on to another site.

Although there's an introduction I still didn't have a clue what this site is all about as the navigational sidebar is virtually unusable and the branding non-existent.

Also, looking at the source code there's more code than content and search engine spiders don't like that.