Rental Market in Ireland?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
catherinedonegal

Post by catherinedonegal »

Al Fresco wrote:Hi Catherinedonegal, we know the house, looks nice from the outside, but small! Yes will let you know when we're there, like your website as well, blog is a really good idea! See you in May!
we drove up to your place a couple of weeks ago. it wasn't there the last time we were at port! omG! what amazing views. absolutely wonderful. your guests must be delighted when they arrive. can't wait to see inside! see ya in may. :)
Talktourism

Registration & Approvals by tourist boards

Post by Talktourism »

I have just joined this forum and enjoyed reading this thread. I feel like I am almost intruding on close friends having a chat over a cup of tea!

In order for your self catering accommodation details to be carried by Tourism Information Offices throughout Ireland and on various Failte Ireland/Tourism Ireland websites, the property needs to be approved. It is not a legal requirement and it is something that frustrates all that do seek approval and pay their annual fee's as our government never been able to tackle this issue.

This is so different to our near neighhbours in Northern Irl where all accommodation providers for the tourism sector need to be approved by NI Tourism Board.

In some parts of Ireland, accommodation providers can (& have in the past) accessed grant-aid to upgrade/renovation and/or expand their accommodation. In order to access this grant-aid the property does need to be approved and continue to operate for a period of 5 years as an approved accommodation. Usually this type of grant-aid is only available in the areas of Ireland which are not tourist honey pot areas. Donegal is considered one of those honeypots! :(

I would reccommend each individual considering offering their property for tourists to look at the accommodation approvals criteria and the fee which is being levelled by accommodation providers in your area at each particular star rating. The fees for approval and annually are per unit (house/apartment) being offered for rent, so it is quite an expense to pay for each house when you will only be receiving the same marketing space (on websites or in brochures) no matter that you have one house or 5.

If starting off, I would say go down the approvals road to get started and thereafter as you have said already 'paddle your own canoe'. Being approved helps to open doors with the local tourism industry e.g, tourism associations, hoteliers etc...

PS Donegal is the best!
Nobody is an Island...
Working together sure makes it easier & more fun!