Windows XP - Tech help required

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Garri

Windows XP - Tech help required

Post by Garri »

Does anyone know how to change the calibration of your screen in Windows XP? Not to be confused with resolution.

I have 4 machines hooked up via a kvm switch (2 x Mac, 2 x PC) which means at the flick of switch they all share the same keyboard, monitor and mouse.

My main choice of platform is the Mac - for everything except accounts, and I'm able to set the screen calibration from within the operating system OSX. So, everything looks nice and dandy.

As I only use the PCs for accounts I rarely use them for the internet but recently started to look at some of my favourite websites and was horrified at how badly they looked!

I'm not talking about strange behaviour of css etc but generally the crispness and cleaness of the experience.

So I tried to look to see where I could set the screen calibration in XP but cannot find where - it's chaos! I can see where you change the resolution but that's not the same thing.

Anyone have any clues?
marcus

Post by marcus »

With our XP PC if you right click while your mouse is on the usual 'background' screen (ie not in any application) you get a lot of options to adjust all kind of things - options related more to the specific graphics card rather than the specific screen, I think.
I've never tried most of them because they are all in French and I'll probably mess something up irreversibly.
Good luck.
Garri

Post by Garri »

Cheers Marcus, appreciated but still no joy. You can calibrate games controllers it seems but not monitors. I think I've been spolit all these years.

You can change settings on the video card but I'm not going to touch them, even though the instructions are in English (allegedly!)
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I'm not sure that it's considered calibration in XP -- and I know I've done this, but I can't remember how. It might have been as simple as changing the DPI in the advanced display properties (you get there by going to the Settings tab of your display properties, then clicking "Advanced" from there...

I believe that was it -- if it wasn't that, then it may have been that I had to turn antialiasing off.

I know that probably isn't very helpful... but even with the changes I've made, websites typically look better in Linux than in XP -- as you mentioned, everything is more crisp outside of windows.
Brooke
Garri

Post by Garri »

Brooke, I saw the DPI setting was something like 96, and on the Mac it's 72 (I think), so perhaps this is the problem.

I'll mess around with some settings and not care if I mess it up as have little respect for the damned thing!

If it's not to do with how I have this set up then it's worrying if websites look that bad as it's obviously not my machine. Depressing really and makes me wanna give in!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Garri,

I agree with Brooke, XP doesn’t really understand screen “calibration� as a separate concept in its own right.

Follow these links for products which claim to allow you to play with your screen settings in detail:-

pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,6241,00.asp

displaymate.com/enduser.html

I have never used a Mac but, in the old days, I used UNIX with X-Windows and Sun Systems. Both allowed adjustment of everything to the n’th degree and both produced a display much superior to MS Windows – on identical hardware. I am sure the problem is not with the hardware, I think the problem is with the drivers supplied for Windows.

I use an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410 – 17� flat screen CRT. It’s now six years old but I don’t think it has been surpassed for clarity, colour rendition or total lack of distortion and everything possible is adjustable by the user from its own menu setup system. In my opinion it is a country mile ahead of any LCD I have ever seen.

OK! MS Windows machines are cheaper than Macs. OK! There’s far more software available for MS Windows machines than for Macs. If price is not an issue and the software you want is available for the Mac why not put the Windows machine where it belongs – in the dustbin? I’ll remind you of a promise you made a while ago. When you win the lottery you will buy me a fully featured Mac. I’m skint so why, oh why, don’t you win the lottery and set me free?

Alan
Garri

Post by Garri »

Cheers Alan, you do make me laugh - in a nice way :lol:

First of all, whilst I would love to win the lottery and be held to my pledge, which incidentally extends to members of my immediate family and a strata beyond, I have my sights set on 53k - that would do nicely right now. And even then, I may just honour my pledge, sans software (even though we're working off the assumption that I win the big one)

I have a Iiyama monitor too and it's very nice 19" flat screen Pro-lite E485S. Plugged in it and the Mac took me through the very simple 'calibration' process. Not the case with Windows. In fact, I can't get any sound coming from the built in speakers whereas, yes you've guessed it, I can on the Mac. Didn't have to do a thing, it was all laid on!

So, I despair.

Unfortunately, I need 2 PCs. One for my accounts and proprietary database that I can't get off the machine, and the other to run a Roland plotter (parallel port) using the mind-numblingly frustrating Corel Draw. The other Mac is a server and my new Mac mini is a joy to behold, although the new ones come with wireless built-in (bugger!)

But I cannot, for the life of me, get the newer PC (XP) to look good. The DPI thingy that Brooke spoke about is to do with fonts (which now comes back to me and is probably why typography on PCs look inferior)

I guess I'm gonna have to give in on this and just accept that I cannot change anything other than the colours but was hoping there would be a screen buried away somewhere that would hold the key. Ho hum!

Why oh why did Steve Jobs drop the ball back in the 80's (he's making up for it now though :wink:)

p.s. with more and more cool web applications the lack of software for the Mac compared to Windows is becomming more of a redundant issue.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Garri wrote:p.s. with more and more cool web applications the lack of software for the Mac compared to Windows is becomming more of a redundant issue.
Yes! I'm just waiting for Google to take over the world, and then we can all switch to Apple products and never look back as we bid adieu to Mr. Gates.
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,

That's all very well but I think that Google is just as bad as Microsoft, in its own way. Microsoft is condemned out of hand because it is not "open-source". What's open-source about Google's search engine algorisms? The answer is - nothing!

For most users "mainstream" is the way to go and that is Microsoft. Macs may be better but they are not mainstream. Linux may be better but it's only a version of UNIX and it has overtones of the "Jesus sandles" brigade. Sun Systems may be better than all but it's far too expensive.

I'm stuck with Microsoft because of previous business constraints. I fought against adopting Microsoft but, I lost! Personally, I think it is the worst of the options but I inherited the hardware and I inherited the software when I retired so I'm stuck with it. It was all free, it all works (sort of) and I can't afford to jump ship now so I soldier on.

Alan
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I know you're right, Alan, but since Google has not yet done anything really underhanded (that I'm aware of) to gain popularity and reputation, I will remain a faithful devotee. :) The moment they try something nasty to force Yahoo! or any other competitor out (even Microsoft), I'll jump ship.

An ex of mine did an internship at Microsoft in the mid 90's, and said that it was brilliant, fabulous, inspiring, really a great place to work. Another friend just ended a 3-year employment with them because it was stifling and "no longer the place where creative and interesting computer work is done." Maybe just two different people having two different experiences, but maybe not.

I hear working for Google is very much the exciting, fun, cutting-edge road. Wonder what the future will hold...
Brooke