I'll show you mine as you've shown me yours!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I still haven't taken the plunge and changed my pool photo on the homepage to one with people in it. I think though, if people book a gite complex, that is what they expect and want. People who want a private villa won't. So I'd better change it.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Is your site down Jim, or is it just me?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Just you A-Two! :wink: Well unless my Mac performs miracles! (it has been known ...)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
elena

Post by elena »

Received this email from American family:
One thing that attracts me to your cottages is the photo of your pool with all the kids playing in it; our kids do like to be with others during vacation …
Hi Jim!
We once had an American family with us and the husband used to build websites - he said he loved our site but thought it would be "even better with people in it" !! Maybe it's an American thing?! I was of the opinion ( and still am, most of the time) that even although people are well aware that others have slept in the beds,sat on the sofas etc that they should be able to imagine themselves there and any images of people that don't happen to appeal could have a negative effect.
Now I know the pool is probably a bit different as they will be sharing it but I think the basic principle is the same and I probably wouldn't put a pool photo with people in it so prominently on the homepage.
It's a great photo but I personally would put it further in so it would be seen after you've already enticed them with your gorgeous gites! They look really wonderful - I would use one of those as the main photo with the pool as a smaller one. Also the photos all overlapping each other with chunky borders distracted me a bit like I wanted to push them over a bit .For me, your homepage is selling a "holiday camp" feel with kids and pool as the main attraction. I'm sure someone else said that but after reading through 8 pages of posts, I can't remember who it was!
Like LV I've been looking to put a pool photo with people but haven't managed to stage one yet and couldn't bring myself to ask the guests if I could intrude and take their photos. I'm about to add a guests photo album though so I will have some people on the site......!

I think you've done a great job, Jim - it's not easy building a site and getting it all to come together and then having to sift through all the different opinions....!!

Elena
Dordogne holiday cottages
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

elena wrote:.... then having to sift through all the different opinions....!!
Aint that the real hardest part of building a website :D
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

your homepage is selling a "holiday camp" feel with kids and pool as the main attraction
Hi Elena

Thanks for your thoughtful comments; it’s good to hear from a near neighbour!

To borrow a phrase from recent ‘twitter’ threads, rental owners either ‘get’ people pictures or they don’t. And there’s little common ground between the two factions. I’ve spent my professional life shooting ‘human interest’ stories where the ability to form fast relationships and shoot in strangers’ faces without causing offence or embarrassment is an essential skill for journalistic-type snappers. I wonder if reluctance to use people pix for advertising purposes might be related to shyness or uncertainty that some may feel about shooting photographs of their guests?

If I’m selling my property, I follow the logic of ‘empty spaces’ but when I’m selling a holiday in my property, I strongly believe that showing guests enjoying themselves in a variety of situations is a vital promotional factor. Interpretation is in the eye of the beholder. A ‘lively pool’ may be a holiday camp or a desirable location, whilst ‘a deserted property’ can have both positive and negative connotations.

But they’re good points that you raise, Elena, and it’s an interesting discussion. I don’t expect to make many converts any time soon!

Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I'm still of the same view as Elena, despite all arguments attempting to persuade me otherwise! The buildings are exceptional and the pool with people in it can grace the front page without being the main focal point.

Hey, why not have a poll?? :lol: They work a treat!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
elena

Post by elena »

I wonder if reluctance to use people pix for advertising purposes might be related to shyness or uncertainty that some may feel about shooting photographs of their guests?
From my point of view people have come to us to relax on holiday - the last thing I'd want to do is risk making people uncomfortable by going round asking if I could photograph them for our website.Maybe they wouldn't want me to but would feel they can't say no, maybe they would say no and that would make me (& them) feel very uncomfortable - either way I would feel that was intrusive. Especially pool pics - people in their bikinis, warts & all!!!!

There's also a thing about lots of people not wanting pictures of their children on the internet. I always ask my guests to send us any of their holiday pics they would like put on our guest album - nobody ever said no but so far only 3 have sent any.

My main thing about people pics is that it's very hard to strike that balance between having stunning looking supermodels (very false & off putting :wink: ) and people that look, well, just not nice to be beside!!!

Of course, I'm a very exact person and like to cover all "what if" eventualities before I proceed with just about anything (I drive my OT insane !!) so maybe I'm not the best person to judge.

Having just read GG's post re a poll, I just asked OT what he thought of the pool pic - now he's not like me at all - he doesn't over analyse, just sees what he sees-his first thought was "looks like it might be rowdy".

So, maybe you're right Jim - you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please everybody.
Maybe just as well - vive la différence !

Elena
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Elena,
I just asked some guests last summer (they were repeats, so I knew them quite well) and they didn't mind at all, in fact they were quite flattered to be in the photograph.
I'm going to do a poll to see what people think.
elena

Post by elena »

That's the thing LV - if I knew them well that would be different. We do have some canoeing pics with our guests in them and individually it's not so difficult as you can pick the people you know will be ok with it.

I just imagine how I'd feel if I was lazing around the pool and saw the owner appearing with a camera. I think I'd run a mile!!
Maybe I need to get Jim round here with his camera charm :wink:

Elena
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

they didn't mind at all, in fact they were quite flattered to be in the photograph.

Like most things in life, it depends on how you do it. Open and friendly is by far the best way, if you're embarrassed and fearful you'll convey that emotion. Experienced photographers can walk into a group of strangers and shoot away without problems, whilst somebody lurking furtively behind a bush with a long lens will almost certainly cause offence. Snappers call it 'hiding in the light' - working so close to people that they don't notice you're there!

Jim
elena

Post by elena »

You're absolutely right Jim. Some people have a natural ease with some things.

That said, I'm not particularly photogenic and don't like having my photo taken , no matter how nice & natural the person at the other side of the camera is!!

We haven't had it so much here but in the hotel, people used to want to have their photo taken with us all the time. I couldn't refuse of course but I used to cringe at what they would see when they got home ( not so many digital cameras back then so couldn't vet them!)

I'm not uncomfortable at all about taking photos of people who are willing - it's potentially making people feel like I do that I don't like.

So, if the gites don't work out I probably shouldn't look for a career with the paparazzi!

Elena
omar

Post by omar »

Hola Jim

I love that main photo with a family having a great time in your private pool. It makes me want to swim in it 8) and have a bbq by the pool.

Omar
http://www.orlandovacationrentals411.com

Orlando Florida Pet Friendly Rentals