Another new website up...

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

The gaps are there and the same for me as the outside pics.......thank you for the feedback OG, as appearance varies so much with differnt browsers, screen sizes etc we need to know!
Yes I know the shutters are not blue!
Blog
Twit Tweets
CSE

Post by CSE »

It is a good idea that you have had in writing a website before you are really up and running.
Here are some comments:
From the booking calendar I can not get back to your website unless I use the return button on the browser. I suggest you change the web site so that the calendar opens in a new browser or tab. (the same with the other links)
Pictures are too small to see any details.
The plans do not have any labels on them so I cannot see what room is what.
I can send the contact form without filling anything in. You should make all or most information obligatory. This can be done with JavaScript.alos in the contact form; the “How would you like to be contacted:” is blank.
Are you intending to hire the property only too English customers, as your prices are only in pounds? Maybe you should conceder other opportunities? Also how enforceable is English law, as quoted in your T&Cs, with a French property? Also if you are selling only to the English then perhaps you should give size and distances in Imperial as well as metric.
Some of your photos are linked via clipart website. Can you not load them on to your own website in case they move them?
In your coding you do not have any “character encoding labelling” read this to understand more:
http://www.w3.org/blog/International?cat=34
You maybe should test your website out with the following : http://validator.w3.org/ it will help you understand the coding errors and when corrected it will help your website get placed in searches.
Other than that it is looking good.
Hopefully you will find some of this useful.

PS we drove almost past your dooorstep last week on our way back from The Netherlands.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

Thank you all so much...and I am passing this all along to OH, who says things like "it's working fine in Firefox for me", or "OK OK it's not finished yet!!!" :lol:

Do you know it never occured to me to label the plans!

We have got pricing in euros, and will be translating the site into French and German to start once we have the words good enough in anglais!

Yes the clipart is not good enough for me either but at least there is some colour.
:roll:

But it's all a great help...
Blog
Twit Tweets
catherinedonegal

Post by catherinedonegal »

hi blue shutters. well done on having your website up and running!

i have to agree that you should get rid of the red banner - it is really, really bad on the eyes - like a strobe effect. if you can't get rid of it (or want it there) then could you slow it down?

the name at the top of your home page. the bright white against the black is very harsh on the eyes too. and the writing is off the block so would need to be reduced a little to fit into the block you have given the writing.

when you have your updated pics on could you make them clickable to enlarge - i love seeing the bigger pic for detail. and on the 'inside' link, could you do the writing and connect it with a pic so that people can see what you are talking about when you write about each room. you know, say you are telling about the kitchen. is it possible to make the word kitchen clickable so that the viewer can then click to see various pics of the kitchen? the experienced website makers here might be able to guide you on how to do this.

you're place looks fab btw. :)
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

OH has addressed most of the problems and advice you kind LMHers have given........ especially the firefox display problem (which was not a problem on his firefox test but he has fixed something that hopefully helps), colours etc. Wording still has a way to go, and pics are now clickable.......

Is that better?
Blog
Twit Tweets
omar

Post by omar »

I liked the pool photo on the top right, the top left one needs more sun.

Omar
http://www.orlandovacationrentals411.com

Orlando Florida Pet Friendly Rentals
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

Thank you Omar, I have been having that little discussion with my OH....at Easter we took the duller photos of the house and pool just so we had some (weather was not cooperative), the other sunny photo is from the agent when we bought the house. Now we have the much better photos taken in May on the blog I want him to slot those in, but he doesn't see anything wrong with the first ones!

Thanks to your comment I now have some ammunition for my case!! :lol:
Blog
Twit Tweets
pete

Post by pete »

get oh to put some "title" and "alt" text on the photos, this will help people find your site, and while hes there he may as well change them, !!

mrsp