Swimming pool season.....

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Blue Shutters

Swimming pool season.....

Post by Blue Shutters »

How do other LMHers with pools manage pool availability if they rent for longer than the pool season, heated pool or not?

I just had an enquiry/provisional booking for our last week of the season, October half term, and although the pool is advertised as heated I made sure to mention that the availability of the pool beyond the end of Septemebr was not guarenteed if weather doesn't play ball, eventhough there is a heat exchanger.

How many actually still have their pools open in Poitou Charentes at end of October with heating/cover but no abri? Sometimes, never?

I also stated that there would be no refund if the pool was shut by then, and that's why the rental price drops sharply after the end of September to cover that possibility. I added that to the booking form to cover myself!

When do you all shut your pools, a certain date or certain air temperature/weather forecast?
Yes I know the shutters are not blue!
Blog
Twit Tweets
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm probably not much help as I'm in Brittany and it is colder here than in the Poitou Charente, but if I didn't have abri I wouldn't bother keeping the pool heated until October.
Is it going to be financially worthwhile keeping the pool heater going for all the time up to the October half term?
I keep mine on but usually have bookings through Sept and Oct which make it worthwhile. Without the abri cover, the temperature in my pool (80m3) wouldn't be warm enough to swim in at the beginning of October, let alone the end of the month, plus it would cost me a fortune to run the heater as well (even though I'm on the cheap tempo tarif).
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

That is a great help, I had a feeling that would be the case.....ie if I had Sept bookings I would keep it on for 1st week in October if booked....possibly 2nd but not beyond that. I know it was not swimming weather 3rd week in Sept when we viewed the house last year.
Blog
Twit Tweets
J&J

Post by J&J »

Looking at your price structure it is obvious to me that the pool would not be available from the end of September.
It is unlikely that you will get any enquiries from families with children at the beginning of the academic year, (no one likes to take that time off school), and those more mature (!) visitors you do have are less likely to be bothered about the pool. So end of September might be a good time to switch off the heater.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Judith & James
Apartment in Dinard, Brittany.
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

It's Oct half term week, but at the start of the converstaion he hadn't said dates and was enthusing over the pool. Once dates were mentioned, and two families with school age children, I made sure I added in the email about pool use not guarenteed and reflected in price etc etc

I think it's obvious, but wondered if guests may be expecting miracles as the pool is heated!
Blog
Twit Tweets
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

J&J wrote:Looking at your price structure it is obvious to me that the pool would not be available from the end of September.
My prices from end Sept to end Oct are the same as BS and the pool is heated. Maybe I should charge more or a supplement.
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

..or perhaps you know how to price as you are an experienced owner LV and we are in our first season, and may get no rentals at that time! We also have to cover the costs of having someone else clean and launder, and so it is not viable to go below a certain rate for up to 12.
Blog
Twit Tweets
J&J

Post by J&J »

LV Do you use the pool a lot yourself during September/October? I can see it would justify the extra cost of heating it during this period if so. We had some of our best swims in early to mid September when the mad rush was over, but found generally only a few guests bothered with it. The problem with BS not living on site is that it is more difficult to judge the needs of the guests and be governed by weather at the time.
And yes, I would think it fair if I had to pay a supplement at your place!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Judith & James
Apartment in Dinard, Brittany.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Touch wood, even if the big house isn't fully booked, I usually get most weekends booked in Sept & Oct by the French, so it pays for the pool to remain open. I just get embarrassed about supplements, can't do them.