Tips or Advice on fixing leaking joints

For anything to do with the garden and pool
visitslovenija

Tips or Advice on fixing leaking joints

Post by visitslovenija »

We've built an in-ground pool this year and have finally got it full of water!

Have had a lot of problems though with leaking glued joints on the PVC piping (seems one make of pipe we used wasn't compatible with the glue, I think) - as the pump is drawing air.

I have remade some of the joints, but still not got rid of all the problems.

Rather than having to remake the whole lot, has anybody got any tips for repairing a glued joint in-situ? Is there some kind of joint repair tape perhaps?

Thanks,
Ralph
www.visitslovenija.eu
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi Ralph,

Try the following out on a small part of the problem, the reason I say this is because this stuff sets so hard you can mend superyacht exhausts with it, Ie once you have done it there is no going back.

http://www.motorshop1.co.uk/quiksteel.asp
Cheers
PC
visitslovenija

Post by visitslovenija »

Thanks for that PC.

This stuff looks the business...
Have ordered some, so will give it a try.

BR
Ralph
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

I await the result with interest. We are convinced we have a leak too, unfortunately all our pipework is under the tiled pool surround :cry:

We think we have a handle on just where it could be, but it is too late to do anything about it now until the end of the season. Will just have to struggle along, and use (loose) a lot of water!
visitslovenija

Post by visitslovenija »

I'll let you know how it goes.

We've spent two days also chasing a leak in the pool itself.
It was supposed to have had a plastic liner, but the delivery has been delayed and delayed. So we decided to give it a paint finish to get us through this season.

Seemed like a neat solution - and it certainly looks good - but the problem is the fittings were not designed for a plaster finish and we've found it is the light surrounds that are leaking - despite my best efforts with expanding foam and sealant. Will have another go at getting them watertight.

The joys ....

Incidentally, I've used a plumbers drain testing kit to pressure test all the pipework and verify they are not leaking. It's a cheap and simple piece of kit (in the UK) so worth getting one if you don't already.
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

visitslovenija wrote:Incidentally, I've used a plumbers drain testing kit to pressure test all the pipework and verify they are not leaking. It's a cheap and simple piece of kit (in the UK) so worth getting one if you don't already.
Will mention it to the British plumber who is helping us sort ours, thanks.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Just a thought does any of this pipe work suffer from expansion or contraction throughout the different sessions? The reason I ask is that this Quick Steel stuff sets hard with no elasticity what so ever.
Cheers
PC
visitslovenija

Post by visitslovenija »

Ok, have now got the pipe joints in the pump house sealed up. Whether temperature movement will cause a problem remains to be seen - so far so good.

I got hold of some two part epoxy that is used by a local yacht builder. Good stuff - seems to stick to anything - but very messy to use. No matter how hard I try, it seems to get everywhere.

Also got the Qicksteel. This is much easier to use and can be handled like putty - though it does go off very quickly. Works well underwater too.

Seems to me no glued pipe joint can be relied on, which is a bit strange. I guess my basic skills at glued joints must be suspect.

Anyhow, I like to Quicksteel for its ease of use. It does go rock hard though.

Thanks for the help people.

BR
Ralph
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Glad it worked out! Just for the future the 2 part epoxy will not keep, however if you seal the QS and keep it in its tube your good for a few years.
Cheers
PC