Book Crossing

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
Aldo

Book Crossing

Post by Aldo »

I am always trying to find new ways to advertise and I thought this would be a rather original one to do. I came across Book Crossing, a new way of recycling books that you have already read - You share them with the general public by leaving them in public spaces. Each book is registered with a unique number and the reader who picks it up is asked to go to the book's particular page on the bookcrossing website to write what he/she thought of the book before passing it on to someone else.

The label on the book is a great space for descrete marketing. It does not go for the number but one can choose the type of person to market it to by the type of books he leaves around.

The readers are introduced to the accommodation very discretely. I do not know if it shall work but it was a sure way of making more space in my library for more new books!

My profile on BookCrossing
debk

Post by debk »

Aldo, Book Crossing is great. I've found some of their wild books here in Portugal... and added some of our own, too.

As for the VR aspect, nice marketing idea. Thanks for sharing!
debk
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Two years after my first entry and none of the books seem to have received any comments on the website. Can't help feeling that people just kept them at home and never bothered, or otherwise never got picked up.
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Conversation stopper or what?
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

ooo...I love the idea! We have official "spots" in my town to leave books...i.e. a rack in the train station, etc. and they are well used...never heard of this though
James3214

Post by James3214 »

Just spotted this thread. I have quite a few books to 'get rid of' which I could leave in the apartment with the advertising.
What might be better is to leave books with some connection to the local area. I am going to try it with 'A tall man in a low land' by Harry Pearson.

Anybody else tried it recently?
pambon

Post by pambon »

At the start of this season I decided to rubber stamp all the paperbacks left by guests, with the web address etc.

I think it was Windy who mentioned it in a thread last winter, saying that it was a discreet way of marketing when your guests take books home - or leave them lying around somewhere.

I encourage guests to take a book home but ask them to leave one in the apartment to replace it which will duly get stamped.