Possible scam!! Is this a fake website?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
adrian31uk

Possible scam!! Is this a fake website?

Post by adrian31uk »

Is this website a possible scam
villaholidaycyprus.com/

Does this website look familiar to you?

The more I look at the more I wonder. I have already posted earlier on in the forum.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

In my opinion its not a fake scam site, but if you are worried you can contact the at the following

I & M Ad Smart Ltd
Dimitriou Georrgiou 4
Paphos 8046,

CYPRUS
+35799625045
pigasos@spidernet.com.cy
Cheers
PC
A-two

Post by A-two »

All the properties have the same contact name and phone number, confusingly similar photos and a copywriting style that is so consistent that it could only have been written by one person. The stated terms for advertisers do not appear to be a serious attempt to attract owners of other properties. Without asking the website owner(s), it's difficult to know their intention. It could be a work in progress or even a demo website. Regardless, I would need tangible evidence that these properties actually exist before considering booking one of them or advertising on the site.

One thing I can tell you is that it has absolutely nothing to do with holiday-rentals or any of the other large listing sites. Clicking on the terms and conditions is a good clue, although I agree there are some minor similarities in style that might have lead you to believe they were connected. The calendar is identical for example.

Just my 2 cents
Last edited by A-two on Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waves from America
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

I agree with adrian31uk: the style is very much h-r.
It doesn't pretend to be a vrbo site, so the same contact for all the properties isn't really surprising. Ditto for the copywriting style. I haven't had time to check the photos but if they are the same(?!) there's a serious problem!
Best,
Alexia.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I have no idea whether it is scam, spam, beta, etc. It does look like Holiday Rentals but that's all too easy to do. What I do know is, with products like HTTrack Website Copier anyone can download a whole Website, change a few things "to protect the innocent" and publish.

Alan
adrian31uk

Post by adrian31uk »

Do you think it might be a good idea to report this to www.holiday-rentals.com directly.

I am not saying that these people are scam artists, innocent until proven guilty but they have either made it look like holiday-rentals to:-

1) Make people think there is a connection between the websites so they get more visitors

2) Becuase they where too lazy or are not real webdesigners and thought it would look nice.

I also see that there database is an off the shelf product.