tree damage

For anything to do with the garden and pool
domino

tree damage

Post by domino »

We get the odd breakage due to 'wear and tear' inside the gites but have not had problems in the garden area till now.
I've just found a main branch has been torn from one of my beautiful young trees (a Silk Tree). One of my guests has obviously tried to hide the six foot long branch in the border.
As its probably not the best time to 'prune' a tree can any gardeners amoungst us advise if any first aid is required to the wound/torn bark?
Thanks in advance
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Did the branch leave a wound in the main trunk or is it a problem with what's left of the branch?

I don't know a lot about tree care, but I would think that if there is damage to a branch stub, the best thing to do would be to prune it back to the branch collar (but leave the collar in place) -- no matter what the time of year.

Not sure what to do if there's a big gash in the main trunk, though.

Anything I know about trees I've learned from watching This Old House. Here's a link to an article from them about fixing a storm-damaged tree.

I've no doubt that someone else here will know more and/or correct me, though. :) Good luck!
Brooke
domino

Post by domino »

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes the branch has been torn back to the main trunk (bark also stripped down the trunk ). It only had three branches so it looks a bit odd at the moment:(
Its not oozing sap which I suppose is a good sign.
I raised the tree from a very young plant and its yet to produce those lovely feathery pink blooms but fingers crossed it will be OK.
enid

Post by enid »

We have one and it is lovely. I 'm sure it will recover.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I'm totally ignorant on this topic - I thought you were supposed to bandage the damage is some way, but apparently that actually encourages the pests you think you're keeping out :roll:

I did find this site, www.tree-care.info which might be worth leafing through (sorry!)
domino

Post by domino »

Thanks Enid, yes I'm sure it will recover. Our commune hedge cutters leave a frightful mess each year but the trees and hedges fight back:)

I'm just a bit put out as the 'tree ripper nipper' didnt own up or apoligise. Mind you the parents were somewhat dippy, managed to break an parasol (blamed it on previous guest) , left the cottage windows open when they went out for the day!! How off site owners sleep at night I dont know!
Its nearing the end of the season so I'm flagging a little in all this heat :(

Thanks for the link Greenbarn, I've already started leaf ing thro :lol:
enid

Post by enid »

How off site owners sleep at night I dont know!
Its nearing the end of the season so I'm flagging a little in all this heat
Agree with both these comments :D
tansy

Post by tansy »

It should recover OK - but if you are worried pop to your local Pont Vert there is a stickie gooey tar type stuff you can paint on helps the tree heal... it worked on all bar one tree when our goats got into our big field whilst we were out for the day, we've planted up with 35+ special trees and they happily, for them, had a day stripping bark :shock: :shock: :shock:
it's all a learning curve!