Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Getting a booking Engine Built ? any ideas

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenmarerentals

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Getting a booking Engine Built ? any ideas Reply with quote

I presently use rentalsystems.com ( villarenters ) as an online booking system, and things with them are fine, but there system is a bit static, and in these changing times, one has to be more flexiible with what the customer wants to book, so i have thought about getting a booking engine done, that is more flexible, I have alot of thoughts the way it will work etc, so I am wondering has any one done this, and could they give advice on who is good.
I have tried a few companies here but they say it is too technical, I have 12 houses, and there would be different rule ( like arrival days, min stays, rates for each house type ) Also a problem with using rentalsystems is that if you want to book one of my houses you have to use the rentalsystem tech, and they keep your email address and bombard you with e mail on other propeties after you finish your stay with us, we have 130 - 150 bookings through the system, and they charge 12 euros to the client, and charge me 2%, so realistically is costs approx 2000 euros per year, so a booking system designed specifically for my needs may pay off in 2 or 3 years, would love to hear from any one who has done something like this.
Hells Bells

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holiday-bookings-online.com

My own apartment website uses it. I have no financial interest, but it works for me. I'm sure the site owner will discuss your requirements.
kenmarerentals

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: HelenB Reply with quote

thanks for getting back to me, i seen these guys already, system looks good the biggest problem I have is I have 6 of the same house types, and need a system that changes rates, min stays, availabilty , i have looked at countless systems, and cannot find any one that ticks all the boxes, so that is why i am looking for someone to build one for me , also had a look at you site, very nice, just one prob i checked avilabily, and got a price for 3 days and it quoted 240 euros, then if you look further down the page is says total booking amount 480 have a look your self i may me mistaken, regards and thatnks for the advice
Hells Bells

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is because if you look more closely, there is a cleaning charge of 40 (have to apply it to short stays, as I am charged a minimum fee by management) , there is also a damage deposit of 200 to pay on booking, as the booking you attempted must be for a period in the near future. You can set rates , min stays, and different changeover days for each individual property .
kenmarerentals

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

appologies i only had a quick look, now i see what you are talking about, thanks for getting back to me
e-richard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have my sympathy kenmarerentals. I also looked at a number of systems and there was always something missing or it did it in a strange way that didn't suit me.

So, in the end I wrote my own.

It was far from a walk in the park, so if you're contemplating a bespoke system for yourself, do think in terms of a realistic budget of a "few thousand" Euros.

Having written my own, I tried to "generalise" it a lot, and have created quite a flexible system which is now on the market (see my signature), but I know for a fact that you will find some feature missing. I know that cos I update it about twice a year with loads of new features that we never thought of before, but some new owner out there always has a new requirement that nobody else has thought of - thats just the way things are. Vive la difference !
kenmarerentals

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard

thanks for getting back to me, seen your system, very good for the admin part of the Holiday Homes, where I need something stronger is an availabilty search with show you what is avaiable for the dates you want , and also price it with the results,

and the ideas i had for a pricing system, would never be static, as they move with demand, in terms of availabilty, min stay, rates etc.
I have 3 individual properties that are let out from March to October week to week Sat to Sat,
IN the other properties I own, they are very common in the area, so i feel that if they are treated more like Hotel bedrooms rather than Holiday Homes, and sell 2 , 4 day breaks, and be very flexible, that is where I need a very elaborate pricing system, as normally we are just a nightly rate, but a guy booking 7 days should get a better nightly rate than a guy booking 3 days, if you PM me you email address I have a doc to show how the system would operate, and you can see my train of thought, regards
How to build your own personal website from scratch