Explanation for fewer bookings in Europe this year

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
paolo

Explanation for fewer bookings in Europe this year

Post by paolo »

What do you think of this explanation for the decline in bookings across Europe this year -

It's because in 2003 the summer in the UK was so sensational that more people decided they did not need to go abroad for the good weather.

However, 2004 was such a poor summer in the UK, next year should be back to normal.

Wishful thinking, or was the drop in numbers this year just a blip :?:
Paolo
Lay My Hat
altyfc

Post by altyfc »

Have figures been down?

If that's the case, I'm not sure that would explain it. If the UK is having bad weather, it's very easy for people to up sticks and go somewhere, even at short notice, with the budget flights that are about. That said, I guess people could have booked long in advance and thus already had ties.

As is always with these things, I think it's likely to be combination of many different factors, but I suppose that could be one of them. I wasn't in the UK last summer - I was in Tanzania, and I understand it was hotter at home.

Aaron
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

I suspect that the 2003 summer in England has had a positive knock-on effect for this year, but I'm also not sure it's that simple. We've just had a wet August, September and October in the Lake District, but as of today we are now fully booked for November in one of cottages and have about 75% occupancy in the other.

November and January are usually our hardest months to fill - we're grateful for weekend bookings and normally only dream of longer stays - and even January is starting to fill up. November 2004 and January 2005 are looking good. And most of the bookings are last minute rather than dating back months, so folk know what the weather has been like. Unless they're being optimistic and think it can't rain for ever!

Here's to a sunny and warm 2005 in the UK!

Christine
www.stybarrowcottage.co.uk
www.troutbeckcottage.co.uk
A-two

Re: Explanation for fewer bookings in Europe this year

Post by A-two »

paolo wrote:What do you think of this explanation for the decline in bookings across Europe this year -
Weather may be one factor, but there are many others, not least of which is that people vote with their wallets.

The British economy has been doing very well and that makes going abroad much cheaper, as well it makes the UK an expensive destination for anyone thinking about visiting from abroad. The Euro is also very strong against foreign currencies.

To keep folks at home, and attract international customers, you may need to compensate for unfavourable (to them) exchange rates and drop your rates temporarily, but only for this year, after which staying at home will be more attractive again as other currencies rebound against the Euro and British Pound (so I'm told).

I'm not suggesting you do drop rates necessarily, because other factors are involved, but I am suggesting that exchange rates have more impact than most people appreciate. For example, here in New York, a week in our house in 2005 costs British holidaymakers less than it cost them in 2003, even though we raised our rates 25% in the intervening period. Not only that, you can get a really excellent meal here for half the price or less of the UK.

All the best,
Joanna
Last edited by A-two on Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Joanna,

My response to the fall of the dollar was to lower the rates on my ads most likely to be seen by Americans, and leave them on sites most likely to be seen by the British.

It worked OK, I still got a high proportion of US guests. But whether they would have come anyway is not known!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
A-two

Post by A-two »

paolo wrote:Joanna,

My response to the fall of the dollar was to lower the rates on my ads most likely to be seen by Americans, and leave them on sites most likely to be seen by the British.

It worked OK, I still got a high proportion of US guests. But whether they would have come anyway is not known!
Paolo,
Smart move. FWIW, the Rothschilds once said that their problem was they always sold too early.........I try and remember that one...:-)

All the best,
Joanna
www.propertyangels.com
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

We are a new business in the Dordogne having just completed our second summer. This time last year we didn't have a single booking for Summer 2004. Now we have already let 13 weeks solid from June to September.

I'm inclined to go with the 2003 heatwave knock on explanation myself. That coupled with the fact that we have more extensive website now than we had before. :)
paolo

Post by paolo »

Welcome to the forum DivineMrsM! Image

Great name - are you Bette Midler?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

Thanks Paolo. My real name is nothing like as entertaining - Lynne Mendoza 8) .

I'm really enjoying this forum - as you can see from my millions of posts so far :P :oops: :wink: .

I don't actually own the property in the Dordogne. It's belongs to my sister and brother in law who live there. I live in lovely rainy south London and look after the bookings and most of the advertising from here.