Only partial image loading

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
gummus

Only partial image loading

Post by gummus »

Hi all

I have a problem where cetain images do not fully load and display. It seem to cut off the bottom 20% for some reason. When I tested in dreamweaver before uploading it was OK, I have compared the file size on the server and local host and they are the same and even re-uploaded an image, but to no avail.

I am getting this problem on several of the album display pictures, but can not solve.

The best example is if you click on the Gumusluk Bay picture of the 3 boats, right hand side of 2nd row.
http://www.turkish-villa.pwp.blueyonder ... /album.htm
Any thoughts?

PS if anyone was following my earlier thead on my spalsh page image, I never did get the full colour version working only a faded version I had already created.
http://www.turkish-villa.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
Wishing I was there
enid

Post by enid »

Looks fine to me - same size as the other photos I have a very slow connection and they all loaded very quickly - so I'm no help!!!
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Brilliantly fast loading for me.
Best,
Alexia.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I find they all load very quickly in IE, Firefox and Netscape but with the same truncating problem in all three browsers.

Alan
marcus

Post by marcus »

I think the pictures are damaged - if I save a photo to local disc then open it in PhotoShop it warns me that the 'file may be truncated or corrupted'.

I would check the originals are OK on your PC then reload them to your website.

Seems a bit curious that lots of files would be corrupted in the same way - did they undergo some sort of batch processing to reduce their sizes / optimise them?

Enid, are you sure that you saw the complete, untruncated, large versions of the pictures because that would of course mean the above explanation is wrong..they are certainly truncated when i see them from here.
Basquen

Post by Basquen »

As Marcus says, best bet is to reload the images. Couple of possibilities:

- I agree that the images might have been damaged during optimization.

- Files may also have been corrupted during the FTP transfer... perhaps try a different ftp client (eg CuteFTP) if DW is playing tricks. Files are uploaded in ASCII or BINARY mode. Most FTP client are set by default to autodetect. Images should always be sent in BINARY mode otherwise they might be damaged during transfer.
-Webservers can be fussy over how you name your image & files. The blueyonder.co.uk servers would appear to run Apache which along with Unix doesn't like capitals & spaces in file names. The 'three boats photo' is named 'Gumusluk Bay 3_jpg.jpg'. You've got the filename content related which is good for Google (don't forget alt tags as well), but the server would be happier with 'gumusluk_bay_3.jpg' (i.e no capitals, spaces replaced with underscores). Similarly the holding page for this image is named 'Gumusluk Bay 3_jpg.htm' but the browser address bar shows it as 'Gumusluk%20Bay%203_jpg.htm'. Seems pedantic to fuss over these sort of things, but I always try a stick to this - as much as anything it makes life easier when it comes to coding pages etc if you don't have to watch out for trailing spaces etc.

hope this helps!
enid

Post by enid »

Sorry - I was only looking at the thumbnails - yes the large photos are truncated.
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Same as Enid.
Best,
Alexia.
gummus

Post by gummus »

Hi all

Thanks for looking and the replys.

As this is only my 2nd go at a web site, I'm still learning loads, so thanks for the tips. I have renamed all the images and uploaded them. The images are fine on my PC, but still truncated when displayed. I optimised all the images with fireworks.

Thanks

John
Wishing I was there
gummus

Post by gummus »

Problem resolved, so thanks for your help

When I re-checked the size of image on the sever against the orginal my FTP client (Opus) had limited each image to 32kb, cutting off the remaining part of the image. I have now uploaded with FTPvoyager and now OK

Thanks
Wishing I was there
Basquen

Post by Basquen »

Great!