Ski Season pricing - is Feb more or same ?

For topics that are specific to mountain locations, please go here.
Beanie

Ski Season pricing - is Feb more or same ?

Post by Beanie »

Martha raised an interesting point on another thread about charging less for her Jan weeks than other periods in her ski season.

I'd be interested to know how common this is amongst Alpine Hatters.

We've always kept our entire season (Jan - March/April inc Easter) all at the same price. Firstly for simplicity but secondly as we didn't want to penalise families for having to spend more over the Half Term periods.

We tend to take 2 weeks ourselves in Jan so have only had 2 other weeks to sell, same in March.

Some years we've achieved it, some years we've partially achieved it. Last year was interesting for us as despite a bumper snow-fall throughout Europe we had a couple of empty weeks in March and I'd like to avoid that for this year.

So - question is - do you price Jan, Feb and March differently ?

Beanie
Martha

Post by Martha »

Our pricing structure is a bit of a legacy from our agents, as I think they knew the market here pretty well. I haven't changed the winter months much this year anyway, just rounded the numbers for an easier life.

3rd January to 29th January 2010 £2750
30th January to 26th February 2010 £3800
27th February to 26th March 2010 £3400

I have actually reduced February by quite a bit from the agent's price as I always felt it was a bit too much, and they had problems booking it every year. They had Half Term week the same as New Year at one point, and I felt it was a bit greedy. It's now more in line with similar properties in the area.

I don't know anyone round here that doesn't vary their prices - some on an almost weekly basis! - so it's interesting that you don't! Did you just work out an average and take it from there?
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We have top prices until just after New Year. Then big reduction for the rest of the skiing season, except for 2 weeks in February - the Bavarian/Dutch/UK half term weeks (UK always coincides with one of the others). I wouldn't dare try to charge more for the non-peak weeks as the Germans mostly come here for cheap skiing holidays and there are not that many who will pay a decent price. But we are not in the alps, of course!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We reduce our prices for January, as it doesn't seem to sell until the last minute. 40% occupancy for Jan, and 98% for Feb and March . I have put all four Feb holiday weeks at the same price this year, but will reduce the first and fourth week if it doesn't book up soon. I put March at a higher price than Jan for next season, as it sold quickly in the past two years, and it is already sold out for 2010.
Austria

Post by Austria »

When we purchased we looked around and prices were cheaper in January, higher in February and the dropping down a bit up to Easter. We are in a lovely area, with lots to do and see and with the Kitzsteinhorn glacier the snow is guaranteed. Based on up to 9 people sharing we think they offer good value too.

Jan 4th - Jan 29th
£896

Jan 30th - Mar 5th
£1064

Mar 6th - Apr 30th
£1015
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Beanie, just a thought. People who normally book for Jan and March may think that your prices are 'expensive' if you charge the same price as you charge for the peak weeks.
Maybe this only applies to smaller properties, but I partly justify charging a higher price in Feb because the no. of guests per week is greater (we tend to attract couples in the lower season weeks) our apartment manager has more work to do due to back to back changeovers, and she has more washing to do.When I calculate my expenses, and set my prices, I discount the other weeks because they don't sell as readily, I don't increase the peak weeks because they do. There was an interesting discussion about this on the SnowHeads ski forum, where a parent was incensed at us apartment owners charging higher prices in February, and supposedly ripping them off.
I don't think they had considered that we didn't have 100% occupancy in Jan and March. Something I hadn't considered until I owned a place myself.
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Thanks for all the comments.

Helen - your points makes sense. Fortunately we do normally get full occupancy during the ski season (apart from those 2 March weeks last year that we released relatively late and 1 Jan week a couple of years ago) - hence have to deal with the back-to-back change-overs and full-house costs/admin throughout the season.

Rates around us are so diverse and there's not a plethora of rental properties nearby so it's hard to judge a lot of like-for-likes. Without wishing to sound smug, those properties that are vaguely similar around us and are either higher or lower priced than us, don't seem to have as many weeks booked. However, looking at some of their interiors, websites and other info, it's not hard to see why. Prices are only part of the comparison exercise.

We'll need to give some further thought to whether we nudge up our remaining Feb weeks (as am not dropping Jan or March). Although I'm still leaning towards Snowheads Lady's view. I guess if I were her, I wouldn't see the owner's side of having to balance out more sticky weeks, I would only see it from the parents' point of view and having to pay more in the only week/s schools will allow them to take the kids away.

Looking around for price comparisons slightly further afield (within an hour) - just spotted a 10-sleeper chalet in Crans Montana which charges around £2.5k - £3k p/w for much of the ski season but rises to £7800 for each of the Christmas and New Year weeks. Now that's what I call being greedy. Needless to say those weeks are empty and they just have the Feb half term week booked so far.

Fortunately, we've just received another week's booking for early Jan, so if we also take our two weeks that month, that's Jan tied up. Historically, we've often had the Jan weeks book up quite early (sometimes sooner than the non-half-term week of Feb), with the March ones being slower. I guess people want to see how the snowfall's doing later in the season. Early March was always our favourite time to ski before we had our own place so this has been a surprise.

Austria - I agree, you are very good value for 9 people. I've skied in Zell-am-Zee and went up to Kaprun so know how charming it is around you, especially with the lake.

Beanie
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Beanie, I agree that is just greedy.
However, not sure I could risk a fixed price throughout the season, co. I would definitely need to put up my Jan and March prices, and my high occupancy in March particularly might be in jeopardy. Couples would probably choose not to come.
We had to release dates at the last minute last season because of hubby's nasty accident. One week booked within 24 hours of putting it back online .
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Helen - how is Hubbie, by the way ? Will he be up to some tentative skiing this season ?

Beanie
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I think he is planning on doing more than tentative!! He doesn't believe in taking things gently . He's fine now, back to doing all his usual sports although still with neck ache from time to time. Mountain biking has been particularly hard to get back to.
He's doing the Great North Run tomorrow for Disability Snowsports.
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

HelenB wrote:I think he is planning on doing more than tentative!! He doesn't believe in taking things gently . He's fine now, back to doing all his usual sports although still with neck ache from time to time. Mountain biking has been particularly hard to get back to.
He's doing the Great North Run tomorrow for Disability Snowsports.
Wow ! No stopping him then :lol: That's great news.

Best wishes to him for the run tomorrow. Any chance of posting up the Just Giving link ?

Beanie
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Beanie

Post by Beanie »

That X-ray is seriously impressive ! You are now married to the Bionic Man :lol:

Isn't the 'Just Giving' site just the best idea for a website ....

Beanie
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It is a fantastic idea, it makes collecting and donating that money so much easier. Great having the x-ray pics from France. Uk hospital didn't want them. He says he will have something good to show the grandchildren :roll: (hope it's a while before we have any though).