Terms and Conditions

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
roxytoo

Terms and Conditions

Post by roxytoo »

Was thinking of putting a terms and conditions page onto my website but looking around not many sites have this, what is the opinion of others, is it a good thing to have or not??? :lol: Would I be creating more trouble for myself, would I be putting people off by laying down the rules 'too early' though they are all things that are in the contract!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Meishka,

What a difficult question to answer.

Having taken a quick look at your Website I imagine that you attract mostly UK clients.

On the one hand, the UK is one of the most obtrusively over-regulated countries in the world and therefore your visitors will be quite used to accepting rules above all else.

On the other hand, the UK is one of the most obtrusively over-regulated countries in the world and therefore your visitors will be wanting to get away from it all.

Who knows?

If you don't have a sense of humour then don't watch the Bush/Blair Love Duet on this link:-

http://www.atmo.se/zino.aspx?articleID=399

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Meishka,

I am put off by sites that publish their terms and conditions. It makes me think the owner is going to be overbearing and officious, and I will be worrying about losing my deposit because I didn't leave the place clean enough. I would send the T&Cs with the contract.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Marg

Post by Marg »

Paolo, Was interested to hear you say not to put your t & c on the website - do you have your booking form on the website? Surely the t & c should be with this.
I am in the process of having a website done for our villa which we plan to rent out next year having spent the last 6 months having it completely renovated. I must admit I was planning to put booking form and t & c on it. I have cobbled together t & c from the various posts elsewhere on this forum
paolo

Post by paolo »

Marg,

I don't put a booking form on my websites. I don't use them, I have rental agreements which I email out once someone has said they are going ahead with a booking.

If you have a printable booking form, might you not get the situation where someone sends you one in the post as their first contact with you? Their required period may have been showing as available when they wrote, but what if you have since booked it on the phone or by email? Or your calendar wasn't up to date?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
roxytoo

t&c

Post by roxytoo »

thanks for replies, think I wil give it a miss after all! :lol:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Meishka,

By all means tuck away your "terms & conditions" on a separate page on your Website. After all, it's only information but it does have an importance.

My advice would be - never ever include a booking form. By doing so you could be turning "offer and acceptance" on its head. You could be deemed to be the one making the offer and your visitor the one making the acceptance. You could loose all control and finish up lumbered with people you wouldn't otherwise touch with a barge-pole.

Alan
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Meiska -

I have a copy of the Rental Agreement on our website. As Alan suggests, it is tucked away a bit. Not a main link; rather a link from the page explaining the reservation process.

Why? Because some people want to see it. And those that don't, don't bother. (It's certainly not one of the most popular pages.)

Also, and this may be unique to our situation, our guests accept the Rental Agreement explicitly as the first step in processing their credit card payments... so I like to show them what they are agreeing to before they start paying or even planning to pay.

If I didn't have it on the site, I would feel like I was willfully withholding important information. Other VRowners feel like it is all TMI. Perhaps another beautiful example of "to each their own."
debk
anmo51

Post by anmo51 »

Hi Jane,
I think your site is lovely. The problem is, as someone already wrote, the photos, but I think this is a mutual problem, I haven't yet been able to resolve mine. Good luck and I wish you a lot of booking.
Anna italy
accommodation-in-spain

Post by accommodation-in-spain »

I personally put my terms and conditions on my booking form which is on our web-site. I do however make it clear on the How to Book page that they need to contact us before booking the property.

I have never had anyone try to book the apartment without checking it was available first and that way when someone does contact me I can direct them to the site for the booking form or I e-mail it to them.

Popping the booking form in a hidden part of the site is a great idea too or just have it on your pc and e-mail it to prospective clients when they provisionally book dates. The bonus about having it somewhere on a site is that if the guests e-mail goes down they (which we have had problems with sometimes) can print it straight from the site.
www.Costa-Luz-Holiday.com - your on-line holiday brochure for the Costa de la Luz