lifeguard or not?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
28SAC

lifeguard or not?

Post by 28SAC »

We own an apartment in Cala D,or Mallorca which is one of 86 on a private complex, although it is supposed to be a private complex nearly half of the owners rent out on the "professional sites" to strangers and not just family and friends. This causes friction between owners and renters due to the high maintenance fees of €1900 per year to keep the complex first class, This figure is accepted by all the owners as our complex is one of the best around Cala D,or. however we have now been told by our maintenance company that by law we now require a lifeguard to be present whilst the pool is open, 8 am to 9pm daily as our pool area is over 200m2, has any other owners in the Spanish areas had any dealings on this subject or any info about this law. Our worry is that this cost will now be passed on to us. thanks in anticipation, 28 SAC.
We travel to Mallorca each month to stay and hope to move there in 2 years time.
accommodation-in-spain

Post by accommodation-in-spain »

In the Costa de la Luz, Spain all complex pools have to have life-guards present as far as I am aware. This has always been the way since I have been going there for the last 5 years so the maintenance charge has always had this included in it. The other problem with this is that you may find the pool is open for a few months of the year and not for the whole year.

I have been visiting Mallorca for many years (and especially Cala Dor as my parents own a place near there - lovely resort) and I must admit I have never seen life-guards at pools there - maybe this regulation has just caught up with them?
www.Costa-Luz-Holiday.com - your on-line holiday brochure for the Costa de la Luz
roxytoo

lifeguard

Post by roxytoo »

Our property on the Costa Blanca is on an urb where we choose to pay a lifeguard just for the summer period. I am not aware that there is a law in Spain and don't know of any pools in the area that have a full time life guard. The reason we do it in the summer is to keep control of the increase in visitors and make sure that whoever uses the pool is allowed to and that the holiday makers adhere to the laws of using the pool itself (you know no ball games, no chairs, no inflatables). It works very well though quite expensive but does keep the riots at bay!
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

I think it has something to do with the amount of properties that share a communal pool. It is a legal requirement and is a charge that is normally included in the annual service charge. Although many communities only employ lifeguards during the summer months, this does not mean that the pool cannot be used at other times. It is normally stipulated that swimming when there is no lifeguard on duty is at the swimmers risk.

Hope this helps!

Linda
cromercrabholiday

Pool safety measures

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Spanish villas seem to have pools totally open to the world.

Our friends in France have recently had to fit a pool alarm that automatically sets if all is still - you have to be careful not to lie immobile for too long otherwise the first movement sets it off!

I understand that their options were a high fence with a locked gate, a metal shutter as in the James Bond film or the alarm.

I assume that Spain is not taking such a strong line. We were always paranoid when our kids were small. We have friends who each thought that the other was looking after their toddler to find him in the bottom of a pool. Fortunately, the mother's screams alerted a neighbour who was a lifeguard who rescussitated the child, now an Oxford graduate.

How do you ensure the safety of your guests or is it their problem?

John