Cumbria Tourist Board

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
greenbarn

Cumbria Tourist Board

Post by greenbarn »

Hoping that the few LMH'ers in the area might spot this thread and give their opinions.

We signed up with the CTB at start up; time for renewal. For us, they do very little - they seem entirely focussed on the Lake District, and their website, entitled GoLakes, makes what almost seems to be a grudging admission that there are other parts of Cumbria that are very attractive in their own right - and with far less traffic.

Do those of you who are within the area they serve best, ie the Lakes, get anything out of the CTB, and what?

Do those of you who aren't in the Lakes, like us (in the Howgills), share my view that they're not really worth the time and money, or do you find any benefit from them?

Had an interesting chat with the VB inspector recently, whose patch covers most of the North West, and it took no prompting for him to volunteer an opinion on the CTB that included the words "thumbs" and "backsides".

Any thoughts?
altyfc

Post by altyfc »

I used to be a member (of Cumbria Tourism as they are now known) a number of years back (via two different businesses, one being a self-catering complex).

I would agree that they seem to promote the central Lakes more than the outlying areas, much like VisitBritain has a tendancy to focus on London and forgets the rest.

I also wonder about the focus of their marketing activities sometimes. I recently invited them to contribute to http://www.ukseries.com/blog with the opportunity of posting information about the area (eg. news, events, etc. specific to Cumbria). Those blog posts go out to around 25,000 Twitter followers and over 1,000 Facebook fans. I received a reply saying that my email was passed on, but then never heard back. I chased the person my email was forwarded to, but again didn't hear back.

Instead, I get the distinct impression that they'd sooner spend their marketing time 'playing' with stuff like sheep ringtones and iPhone apps where you can skim stones. Go figure.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Interesting that when Twitter was taking off I noticed that @CumbriaTourism was still available so I bagged it to stop anyone else sitting on it and offered it to CT by email.

They sent a very nice email back saying that they'd rather use @LakeDistrictPR thanks. :roll:

In spite of only tweeting

"Just holding this name in case Cumbria Tourism want it at some stage (free) so there won't be anything terribly exciting posted here :-)"

I still have 342 followers :-)

Anyway, perhaps that tells you what you needed to know GB? :lol: :D
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Windy wrote:
They sent a very nice email back saying that they'd rather use @LakeDistrictPR thanks. :roll:
Unbelievable! I didn't realise blinkers came in that size......

A CT Scan:

Curtains open to reveal an official at a desk at the offices of Cumbria Tourism
Tum ti tum ti tum ti tum.......
Looks out of window
Ah.. the Lake District's still there.
Tum ti tum ti tum ti tum.......
Curtains close
altyfc

Post by altyfc »

I wonder what CT's logic is, there.

Did they explain why they didn't want it?
Windy

Post by Windy »

Did they explain why they didn't want it?
Nope
altyfc

Post by altyfc »

At the very least, you'd think they'd want it in order to do one tweet that reads:

"See @LakeDistrictPR for our official Twitter account."

:)
Windy

Post by Windy »

Well I did make a second post pointing people to @LakeDistrictPR cos I'm nice like that :-)
altyfc

Post by altyfc »

Awww... so you did. And you even described them as 'excellent'.

Are you after free membership or something? (just kidding... ;))
Windy

Post by Windy »

Should perhaps have described self a smarmy rather than nice:-)