Website Review - Multi-Property Angst

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
debk

Post by debk »

Alan -

I like your comments. I just wasn't sure which option you were referring to because we have discussed a couple of different options here and the site is in constant flux.

The Lisbon/non-Lisbon one is indeed the one that is on the site right now. Thank you for the clarification.

As for 'historic properties' that's just my crude shorthand for properties that are protected by the Portuguese government because they are considered of 'valor patromonial.' A modern apartment wouldn't fall into this category.

These properties are a bit of a pain on one hand, because you can't make ANY exterior changes... even paint color... and interior changes are dern tough to get thru permitting. But it's also the appeal for many people. A nice step back in time. (We love them and consider them worth the beaurocratic hassle.)

Thanks again for the input, Alan. It's now clear on this side!
debk
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Debk,
It's now clear on this side!
No problemo! Sorry if I didn't make myself clear from the start.

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hi Deb,

Sorry I haven't been here for you!

I don't have a problem with presenting several properties in different locations if they are very relevant to the visitor to your site. If people often spend a week in Lisbon and a week in the Algarve, then I would definitely include the Algarve properties in the same place as the Lisbon ones. What I wouldn't do is include properties that are irrelevant just to get them seen by any old pair of eyes. That will put people off the site.

I would like to see a thumbnail of each property on the homepage, not just a text link. You will get many more clicks into the internal pages if there is a picture (I think).

I think your lovely banner picture of the tiles is taking up too much room, and although it does establish something about your site (classy properties, nice place), the real estate it is using is simply too valuable and could be working harder.

However, you could preserve it by losing the 'As seen on TV' box on the left. In this column you could have decent-sized thumbnails of your properties, and make that a common element on all your pages. The 'As seen on TV' is a good hook but could be splashed smaller and elsewhere on the page.

I would state the purpose of showing non-Lisbon properties - "many visitors to Portugal like to combine the culture of Lisbon with the pleasures of the coast....the Algarve is...., Sintra is....."

On your internal pages, the page width can be wider. Even at 800X600 there is a margin either side. I'd use this space to run thumbnails of other properties.

If you are worried about thumbnails making the site look like a bit of a free-for-all garage sale, I wouldn't be. Each of your properties will appeal more than the others to a particular person. Show a glimpse of them all and you are likelier to satisfy more of your site's visitors.

Am I reviewing the wrong site? I'm looking at the site in your initial post, but it is not the current visitingportugal site.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Paolo -

Yes, you are reviewing the new site. It's not yet in production... so the old one is the live one.

I had never even thought to add property thumbnails on the main page but I like the idea. A lot.

As for the header fotos, I'm glad you mentioned them. I emailed some friends for feedback on the new testsite and that was one thing I specifically asked about. (Because sometimes I like the big photos, but sometimes I think they take up way too much space.) Reviews were mixed: some loved the big photos saying they evoked a yearning to visit Portugal and made the site memorable; others thought the pics could be smaller without losing anything. So I will play with reducing the pics a bit. Worth a try.

I was quite pleased to get notice of this new review... I haven't touched the testsite for weeks as it had, frankly, become a total pain. So your comments, Paolo, are a good swift kick in the pants! I do want to get the new site up before the busy season starts.

Thank you very much. I know these reviews take time and every comment is greatly appreciated.

Off to enjoy the Lisbon Christmas lights,
debk