That Other Forum.....

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
greenbarn

That Other Forum.....

Post by greenbarn »

Nice to see that the VB AKH Forum has had a makeover and has a snappy new look to it. I wonder how they found the time to do it, what with being so busy checking the hundreds of new posts, and applying their own bizarre censorship rules.

I did see a post from somebody called Windy, which seemed to appear some time after it was actually dated, and asked a very similar question to one I'd previously asked but which hadn't got past the censor. My own post attempt was perfectly polite, and asked a question pertinent to all of us with some connection with VB, so I was a bit miffed when this other individual's post appeared. I think this Windy person must have a Special Relationship with VB........

The News section hasn't been updated since 23rd November, but then I'm pretty sure that nothing of any significance to those of us in this business has happened since then. Or have they missed something?
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Which forum is that Greenbarn?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Windy

Post by Windy »

You have to write to Penelope, Viscountess Cobham (Penny to me) before you get posts remotely critical of VB allowed. (and only then if you are really VERY rude to her about her Visit Britain forum)

Did you spot the irony in my "thank you for the update" post. They didn't or they wouldn't have allowed it I'm sure.

According to an Anne Gallagher they didn't publish my post questioning their inaccurate advice regarding DVDs brought to properties by guests because

"the forum is intended as a means for accommodation providers to share queries or advice and this user-generated content complements the expert-led advice contained in the other sections of the site. Moderation is needed to avoid forum posts undermining confidence in the expert-led guidance."

I did write back to explain that I don't HAVE any confidence in the "expert-led guidance", which was wrong, and wondering if the word "Expert" shouldn't be in inverted commas, but I've had no reply.

Ah well, it's not as if we pay their salaries is it?

Edit

Kathy it's

akh.beta.metropolis.co.uk/forum/index.php

I think the level of professionalism is apparent in the "beta" bit
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Windy - you mean that you, and the "Windy" on AKH, are one and the same person????? Well rot my socks!

Now I'd have thought that your question merited some sort of official response, much as mine, which asked how we'd be able to verify someone's claimed association with VB. Or would have done, if I'd correctly answered, in not less than 100 words, "I love VB and would give them all my income because..." and thus given my post half a chance of appearing.

...this user-generated content complements the expert-led advice contained in the other sections of the site. Moderation is needed to avoid forum posts undermining confidence in the expert-led guidance.
So does your mate Penny offer any distinction (apart from being a Viscountes, I mean)

Kathy - if you follow the link, you'll find it tells you that you can't view posts without first creating an account, which may be a Good Idea as it prevents people getting Expert Leaden Advice without actually paying in some way. Except that you don't need an account to view the posts. Ooops! Good thing that this organisation aren't involved in anything important to the UK economy, then.
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Wasn't aware of this one but it looks like I'm not missing much.

Their moderation can't be so great as when I login for the first time, I get these as the latest posts:
Ask for advice, share experiences and tips with fellow accommodation owners... Click here to join the discussion.
Great Website
This is really a extraordinary website I will tell my...
Codeine hydrocodone conversion
See this cool drugs site http /codeine-hydrocodone-conv...
Both go to pages that I say I need to login (yet I'm already logged in) rather strangely. Maybe it's because they've been removed??

Hmmm... definitely deserving of its beta URL but, since the site appears to have been around for over a year, shouldn't it have come out of that by now? :roll:
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

The Accommodation Know How (AKH) site does have some useful information, and can certainly be a good start point for investigating some of the legal aspects. However, as Windy pointed out, their advice is not always complete. It's now free if you're a VB member, not sure what it costs otherwise or whether it's worth it. They haven't managed to come up with a legally watertight booking T&C's.

Possibly the only interesting and useful thing to come out of the forum was when one member pointed out that offering a lift to your guests, such as picking them up from a station, actually requires you (other than in exceptional circumstances) to have a taxi licence and appropriate insurance. This was a rather important point that AKH had missed, and they now include it in their advice.

Just don't start on DVD licensing......
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I'm just wondering if the beta bit is the attempt at the new format of the forum, which has such innovative things as being able to send someone a PM and show your location! Impressive or what?

It is, however, as buggy as a buggy thing that's infested with bugs.

I think I might have just broken it.......... :oops:
Windy

Post by Windy »

It is, however, as buggy as a buggy thing that's infested with bugs on the planet bug (or The Lake District as CT would probably call it :-)

What was that about DVD licencing?
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Sorry, I can't help it... I'm going to have to ask... what's the licensing problems when it comes to DVDs? I'd assumed you could just buy a few DVDs, stick them in the property and Bob's your Uncle.

No...?
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Noooooooo
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

:lol:
Windy

Post by Windy »

If that wasn't you trying to wind me and GB up :lol: :lol:

viewtopic.php?t=9559&highlight=concierge+dvd
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

Oh my... now I'm wishing I hadn't asked. :shock:
Garri

Post by Garri »

kendalcottages wrote:Sorry, I can't help it... I'm going to have to ask... what's the licensing problems when it comes to DVDs? I'd assumed you could just buy a few DVDs, stick them in the property and Bob's your Uncle.

No...?
No. You will need a PRS license.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Not quite Garri - read the other thread