Snowed in!

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
harcourtv57

Snowed in!

Post by harcourtv57 »

How is everyone faring with the weather? Its v unusual for us to get snow here in Portsmouth because of the microclimate on the coast but we had 6 inches of snow overnight :shock: - this morning no transport and all schools and most businesses closed. We have guests supposed to be arriving today (from Cheshire) but its unlikely they will be able to get here.

On the plus side we were out last night having a snowball fight with the neighbours :) and Southsea common has about 200 people out this morning all making snowmen!! :D
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

hope you enjoy yourselves! I LOVE being snowed in ;-) (this morning, when I left the house, it was -4 with no snow in sight...which is really depressing!)
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

We did thanks Musetta! My 6 year old grandaughter and 2 year old grandson got to make a proper snowman for the first time :D :D

But our guest phoned to say that she cannot travel today but will try again tomorrow :(
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We have guests wondering if their flight is going to operating on Sunday to get them here.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

I'm afraid the whole country seems to have ground to a halt Margaret - my boss is due back from Geneva tonight but most UK airports are closed. It took my son nearly three hours to get home from work last night (7 miles and all motorway) but he was luckier than some who ended up spending 12 hours overnight in their cars on the M27. But the snow has also brought people together and plenty of fun in an enforced day off work :D
enid

Post by enid »

I saw Southampton airport was closed (that's where we lived before coming here) - nasty for everyone.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I'm enjoying the local news where they are showing Allendales celebrating as a delivery of potatoes has made it through!
J&J

Post by J&J »

Heavy snow here today in NE London/Essex.
Only half the pupils turned up for school today. The cooks had already started preparing the dinners, so we had two huge tubs of rice and chicken curry for supper this evening! Looking forward to lamb mince tomorrow.
A cheap food shopping week for us!

Judith
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Judith & James
Apartment in Dinard, Brittany.
Marks

Post by Marks »

J&J wrote:A cheap food shopping week for us!
Unfortunately offset by increased heating costs :(

Good fun watching the snow reports on UK TV, I had to draw a curtain to keep the sun off the screen this morning :lol:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

I have had an absolute arse of a day. We are moving offices over the weekend - it's a huge move of a big-ish London firm to other London premises and we are going to a building which is new so it's a total refit jobbie. I absolutely HAVE to be in as my department is central to the move.

Overnight we had several inches of snow which I had to remove from my car before driving to the station. On arrival at the station I found there were no trains running up to us - we are the second to last stop on the line.

Trains were running from about 4 stops down. So as I wasnt sure about where to park if I moved the car, I got a bus with about 40 other people to the said station, after waiting about 15 mins (pretty good going I thought). Whilst on the bus a passenger got a call to say that actually there were no trains at our destination station which put a damper on it. Anyway we all got off and trooped damp and wet into the station; all very surprised to find it didnt have 100s of waiting people and a train was there.

Eventually it was announced the train would go to London, all got on and that wasn't too bad. got to London and to work about 10.30 am, having left home at 8.

Many of the staff who managed to get in today left early by 2pm becuase of the weather. I had to stay because there was tons to sort out. Left at 5 ish (half hour earlier than usual). All trains to my area were cancelled, we were advised to go to London bridge. got there eventually, a train was apparently on its way. Waited an hour on the platform along with hoards of other people.

Just as it was due to arrive it was cancelled to be replaced with another train on the opposite platform, which meant that those at the back of the 5 deep crowd of people were now at the front. Train arrived and, now being at the back of the queue I was last on and stood all the way.

Got to my car and removed a new 3" layer from it before Icould drive home.
Arrived home 8.30 thoroughly p**sed off at the prospect of repeating all this tomorrow.

I have to be in on my day off (Friday) when everyone else gets to go home after finishing their packing, plus all weekend, Sat and Sunday too.

And then on Monday we are at the new building!! And everyone expects it all to be working!
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I have a hospital appointment in Leeds Friday at 9 a.m, I've waited 3 months for it...

I was going to travel down tomorrow "at leisure" stay in Leeds and taxi to Chapel Allerton. However, with travel reports and non stop snow common sense tells me I should cancel and rearrange..... :? It's not life or death so I can wait a bit longer.
enid

Post by enid »

What a rotten day Nightowl - and a shame you have to do it again - be careful!
lorca

Post by lorca »

Sympathies with all of you having problems. Our guests were due to fly back to Gatwick today, but their flight was cancelled. We said they could stay on in the cottage for free if they needed to as we have no-one coming in for a bit. In the end they decided to fly to Brussels and get the Eurostar from there as they needed to get to work- hope they make it!