New kitchen - thanks for your help !

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
esentziak

New kitchen - thanks for your help !

Post by esentziak »

Good morning

We live in France and rent an apartment in London which needs a new kitchen.

We have to work through letting agents, and try and organise as much as possible before we go over to London.

I see that Ikea now offer a measuring service but a comment from a customer which states that their kitchen units are not standard size worried me a bit.

Could I ask for advice ? I could get the measurements done by Ikea (they charge for it anyway) but where else to get a kitchen at reasonable prices and in the area area Wimbledon/Wandsworth ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards

Dominique
Ju

Post by Ju »

I'm not sure what is mean't be ikea units not being standard sizes, they are. What they don't have is units in every width, just the fixed 30cm, 40cm, 50cm, 60cm and 80cm widths.

I am a bit of an expert in ikea kitchens after several kitchens worth of experience, and I wouldn't use anything else (I did in one property as I got a good deal in the sales, and have regretted it ever since)

You can download a planner from their site and put the plan together yourself, remember to leave a couple of cm on each wall to give space to fit units.
esentziak

Post by esentziak »

Thanks for your reply.

I have not idea what size kitchen units come in, so pleased to know that Ikea's won't cause a problem, as everybody I know who has one, is happy with it.

So I am going ahead with Ikea. Thanks.

Dominique
esentziak

Post by esentziak »

Back to the forum !

Ikea won't organise measuring the kitchen over the telephone, I have to go to the store.

As I am hoping to organise everything before I go - have kitchen measured, go to my local store in France and design kichen and order on the internet, I am back to square one.

If anybody has any suggestions, they will be gratefully received ! I have not lived in London since 1977 - just occasional visits for family, now passed away - not really sure who is still in the business, but also good quality. MFI ???

Thanks in advance

Dominique
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

MFI went out of business a couple of years ago. Is there no-one who can go and measure up the kitchen for you? IKEA do have an online planner that you can download, design your kitchen and then upload the plan and shopping list to the IKEA website.
esentziak

Post by esentziak »

Thanks, I did not know that.

The agent who looks after the rental did take some measurements but I am a bit weary to order the kitchen based on his measurements. Just in case !

He did tell me he could not assume responsibility as it's not something he does normally.

Dominique