Decided to be brave - and ask for your thoughts

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
gummus

Decided to be brave - and ask for your thoughts

Post by gummus »

Hi all

I would be pleased to read your views of my site.

Does it load OK on dial up and with different browers?

Is the layout and navigation Ok?
Wishing I was there
marcus

Post by marcus »

Since no one else has had a look I'll get the ball rolling for you.

I think that the site essentially contains the right ingredients - lots of pictures etc. But there are a few aspects that I don't like personally. These are

An entry page that serves no particular purpose
Anything that scrolls flashes waves or moves
The over dominant menu buttons distracting from the main content of the page
Photoshop 'text effect' type headings

I think the villa pictures should be retaken on a sunnier day, and some of the interior pictures look a bit lifeless.

'Prices on application' isn't an approach I'd take myself, because I think people won't bother. Commonly renters reach a website from a listing site, a brochure or whatever and they are seeking further information. Surely that should include the price?

But don't worry too much what I say, I'm still fiddling with ours after 4 years and haven't got it right yet. I think your site is heading in the right direction and could be shuffled around a bit to make it more appealing quite easily. And you are of coursewelcome not to share my opinion...

Meanwhile also take a look at Paul Carmel's and Jane Bennetts sites to see what I mean by 'clean and simple'.

Cheers
Marcus
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Gummus,

I am not going to venture into the details of your site, I will restrict my comments to how it actually works on the three browsers I have. They are Internet Explorer, Netscape and Firefox, all the latest versions.

I am on broadband and with each browser your site loads at a more than satisfactory rate. There is the occasional hiccup so I am guessing that for those using dial-up modems the reaction may be a little different.

The pictures are of a surprisingly high quality considering how quickly they load but I use a high quality and high resolution CRT monitor. From those using more “normal� CRT monitors or LCD monitors the reaction may be a little different.

I am a member of the keep it clean and simple brigade and I agree with what Marcus has said about the site in general.

Alan
Ju

Post by Ju »

Hi Gummus

I'll start with the good points:

The text is clear and readable.
I like the background, it doesn't interfer and has a nice feel.
The site is quick to load and I can't see any technical problems.

Areas for improvement.

Go straight into the site, some people don't do more than one click, and you want to get them hooked straight away.

Rather than the scolling pictures, pick the 3 or 4 best pictures to sell the property. One of the view (I really like the one from the ground floor terrace), one interior and maybe on of the local area. You need to make people what to know more.

I think a bit more information on the first page would be nice, how many does the villa sleep, where exactly is it. The word Turkey for example is not mentioned on the home page.

I think you could have a better title than "Our home in the sun". You want other people to be able to imagine themselves there, if it is YOUR HOME it may be difficult. Perhaps a name for the villa might be better.

Hope this helps.

Ju
gummus

Post by gummus »

Thank you to those who have taken the time to look and share your thoughts with me.

I take on board all you comments and will be making some alterations, its great to have fresh eyes looking at it.

This is only my second site I have put together (version 2 of the first) it was set up primarily to display our villa to friends and work collegues who may want to use for a nominal cost, hence why no prices have been displayed. But we are now considering our approach and if we will market it for general holiday makers.

Its interesting the opions all appear to be against the entry page and scroling images. Whilst I also hate a plain page with just "enter site", I tried to to give an instant feel of our villa and a holiday in Turkey, with the hope of making someone want to look further (I created a faint version first that was going to be abackground but it was to busy). The scrolling images are perhaps a bit gimmicky and something that was not planned but happened.

Has any one on dial up viewed, or anyone experienced problems?

Thanks again
Wishing I was there