Preparing pool for the summer

For anything to do with the garden and pool
stef7sa

Post by stef7sa »

Hi, I am new to this forum and also a brand new owner of a Doughboy DIY pool, with a steel wall and liner. We bought it in our home country, the Netherlands and transported it to Italy where we have it installed by the builders who also restructured our B&B. The major problem we have encountered is the fact this these DIY pools are perfectly adapted to a stable flat terrain, while ours is slopy with a risk of landslides (not an uncommon phenomenon in this area). This meant that we had to build a stable concrete floor and moreover had to construct a wall on one side of the pool to the prevent the soil from shifting towards it. In the end the total cost amounted to almost the same as if we had ordered a conctrete pool from a local supplier :?!

Anyway, the pool is ready and last summer we could for the first time offer our guests a pool. Now that the winter is nearly over, I have to think about preparing it for its second season. I now notice that although the water has remained clear, the pool floor is very dirty with heavy debris. This is mainly due to the fact that the winter cover has open spaces where leaves can fall through. I do not know if the debris that I now see, is loosly sitting on the floor or if it's tightly bound. However, my experience from last year learns that it is not sensible to use the vacuum cleaner (connected via the skimmer inlet to the Doughboy pump and filter), to pump the debris to the sewer. The pump and filter will certainly get blocked by the dirt and as a consequence the water circulation will diminish. Moreover, due to the vertical position of the pump in shed, with respect to the water level in the pool (remember we are on a slopy terrain), and the fact that the water inlet (skimmer) and outlet are appr. 1m above the pool floor, I can only pump water away until its level reaches the inlet point. I can of course use my independent submersible dirty water pomp and surpass the pomp/filter system but I cannot connect the hose of the vacuum cleaner to this simple dirt water pump.
Does anyone know if there are any (self-prinming) dirty water pumps that you can use together with a pool vacuum cleaner, i.e where pump is located outside the pool and directly connected to the drains.
Or are there any other suggestions to clean the pool without the necessity to first completely empty it, and after that scrubbing?
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

There should be a "waste" position on the valve which determines where the waste goes. The doughboy AquaView Filter Family has this.

A typical installation looks like this - the filter valve is the white assembly.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
stef7sa

Post by stef7sa »

True, there is the waste position on the filter but the problem remains that dirt cloggs the the pump, which is a simple centrifugal pump unsuited to really to treat heavily wastewater with larger bits of debris.