email forwarding stopped working!

To suggest improvements and additions to the forum, or ask about technical difficulties using the forum.
goosie

email forwarding stopped working!

Post by goosie »

I thought this week was surprisingly quiet but have now realised (after some basic testing by sending myself emails) that my web host email forwarding hasn't been working for the past 10 days (at least). I've contacted the web host in the hope that they can track down the lost emails, and I've gone into all the sites I advertise on to double check the enquiries, but not all of them hold the information that way. Our custom form submission from our own website doesn't have any other saving, so I have no idea how many requests have gone astray. Whilst I wait for the hosting company to get back, and now that I've changed my email address on all major websites, is there anything else I should be doing? :cry:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Set up a Gmail account (good filter system and storage), make sure all emails are forwarded both to your Gmail account and your other system, generate test emails at least twice a day?

MG
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

If you were simply using "forwarding" then the original emails should still be on your main web host. Can't you login to their email web client and read your emails there ?

Apologies if I have misunderstood you, but I hope you followed the above.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
goosie

Post by goosie »

thanks - the problem is the host doens't have a facility (obvioulsy) to read emails as the account is virtual (i.e. you can email to it, but I can't email from it) - so I think I just have to wait for the company to sort it out which is bloomin annoying and I have no idea how long it has been a problem. Very frustrated
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Oh dear, sorry. I understand your frustration but I have also now learned something. I did not know about virtual email accounts.

good luck.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
goosie

Post by goosie »

update - and warning to others! The company that provides the `free` email forwarding - LCN tells me that it is AOL's problem. AOL (after second attempt) have put a report to the engineers to unblock from the server. Two lessons for others:

email forwarding is known to be problematic so don't rely on it (helpfully told by LCN that it was a known problem since the new year - I pointed out that they could have warned us but they said it wasn't their problem - I also said I didn't think that was great customer service).

check that if you do have email forwarding just test it every now and then~!