Is renting a semi in Sussex for holidays viable?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
joddle

Is renting a semi in Sussex for holidays viable?

Post by joddle »

Ok - here is the situation. We have a normal 3 bed semi in Burgess Hill which we use for about 2 months each summer and the rest of the year have in the past tried to let out on a 6 or 9 month let. This has proved to be difficult as no one wants furninshed acommodation for such periods so we always have to "make do" when we get there each June. Also many lets end before the 9 month period and the house is then impossible to re-let for an even shorter period.

We have begun to consider if it would be worth letting the house as a fully firnished holiday premises for short lets of 1 or perhaps 2 weeks.

The house is nothing special - quite ordinary although has double glazing, modern heating, a conservatory and decent sized garden and a recently refurbished kitchen.

Do others on this forum think this would let? - and if so what would be the best site to use for advertising? - We currenly use Spain Holiday for our flat in Valencia which works well but would not be appropriate for a UK property.

Here's hoping for loads of comments, suggetions and ideas from you all!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

We live 4 miles away from B-H. An optimistic idea I would have thought, as a holiday destination. Exchanges maybe, long lets - fine, short lets - nope.

How about long term rental, and when you want to be back, rent a place? It's a good area for commuting - that's your market.

Is there a decent restaurant within 15 miles?

MG
joddle

Post by joddle »

Mountain Goat wrote:
Is there a decent restaurant within 15 miles?

MG
Yes there is a good restaurant - at the golf club at the Old Oak Barn - excellent in fact.

Not too sure about this being not possible - been looking around other sites and see that in the "budget market" semis do quite well even if not next to the sea. Am now temped to add the place in order to judge the market - after all on direct rail links to London and Brighton and also close to Gatwick - all plus points.

As we lived there for 15 years we know the area well and I think I does have something to offer for those on a budget.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Remember that, for foreigners, your house does not seem to be 'nothing special'. In fact, it is a typically English house. I think it would be a lovely area for holidays (I come from Surrey) and handy for London.

There is also a good market for Brits coming to an area for short stays for family reasons - weddings, visiting relatives whose houses are too small for them to stay in. We get bookings for both of these reasons in our Welsh borders house which is not in a classic tourist location.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

Many holiday lets work in non traditional tourist locations and you have already identified some plus points. However, it would depend on what your overheads/profit would be - i.e. how many weeks would you have to let it to cover your costs, let alone make a profit. I've heard it said that holiday letting can bring in three times the income of a residential let, but is 6 times the work - and have to agree as we do both. Also you would need to consider who would manage the changeovers if you were abroad.