Annoying things guests do....

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Sue Dyer

Annoying things guests do....

Post by Sue Dyer »

Do any of your guests seem to feel the need to rearrange things in your property? During the summer the iron (which usually, and sensibily I feel, lives in a kitchen cupboard) turned up on a shelf in one of the wardrobes...??? They also thought the clothes horse would live happily in the bathroom where there's no room to fold it out .... again????? I hate it when that happens as I look for something and think it's been nicked only to find it in some odd place... :? I've had the plant pots rearranged in the garden too.... why???

Today I was doing a good clean out after the last guests with kids. Not having children myself these things don't occur to me like not leaving cleaning products low down. However, the last guests thought it would be a good idea to empty the cupboards, put all of the cleaning products, washing powder in the top cupboards and all of my dishes scattered in different places. I appreciate they want their children safe but it would have been nice if they had of returned the cupboards to a vague semblance of how they were.

THEN... cleaning the tomato sauce fingerprints off the kitchen cupboards I notice something... they must have sellotaped all of the cupboards, drawers and washing machine door shut.... )Just how effectual would that have been....??) Consequently I spent ages trying to get the rest of the sellotape off the cupboard units and washer... grrrrr... I forgot to check the drawer of the video recorder for chips and stuff, I hear that is a favourite with little ones too!

I suppose it has made me think of safety for bleach etc and maybe having a cupboard that locks but guests have access too... what does anyone else do?
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

Ooh - the safety issue. Good point. Do you know, in all our efforts to be family friendly, it hadn't even occured to me? :shock:

Then again, those kitchen door child proof thingies are flipping annoying. Those without kids would find them a pain.

Maybe the reason I haven't thought of the bottle of bleach scenario is because the little children tend not to wander into the kitchen as it's up a few little steps (no - we are not disabled friendly unfortunately). I tend to shoo the kids out of the kitchen when we're there anyway. If you look on our website at the kitchen and it's location you'll see what I mean.

Having said all that, I'm forever moving things to higher levels in general, but usually only the things left on the coffee table etc. The oak bar in the sitting room comes in very useful for that and often ends up as a dumping ground for felt tips, scissors, gin and tonics... :D .

I would think that most people would put noxious substances out of reach of small peeps. If no one has complained, I don't think you should worry too much about it. :)
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302
Maggiem

Post by Maggiem »

Last February, we drove to our apartment so I was able to take lots of things that I normally buy when we're over there. (It saved time as I could accumulate stuff at my leisure, leaving more time for painting and decorating once at the apartment!) I noticed that Viakal (sp?) was on special offer, so bought 6 bottles, thinking it would last the whole summer. During one of our rare coffee breaks mid-painting I read the label, and decided to bring it all back, it sounded absolutely lethal! I've since been far more careful about the substances we leave for cleaning, although I think the ultimate responsibility rests with the parents.
We've also been pleasantly surprised at the positive feedback we've received from guests who've been impressed that we have smoke alarms, a fire blanket and a small fire extinguisher - all things that I would regard as essential in a letting property.
I'd be interested to hear other people's views on essential safety equipment.
Maggie
musicmonkey

Post by musicmonkey »

We have put in smoke alarms on both levels and have also installed a multi purpose fire extinguisher in the kitchen. I feel you owe it to your guests to make them as safe as possible.

Not only that, but where would you stand if there was a fire (God forbid) and you had not done anything?
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

"I noticed that Viakal (sp?) was on special offer, so bought 6 bottles, thinking it would last the whole summer. During one of our rare coffee breaks mid-painting I read the label, and decided to bring it all back, it sounded absolutely lethal! "
Hi Maggie

It may be lethal but it certainly does the job!!! We have glass shower doors and it is the only product that I have found to take off the water marks completely and leave them as new!! It´s also great for taps and plug holes!

Put on some rubber gloves and give it a go - you won´t regret it!!

Linda