showers

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Paul Carmel

showers

Post by Paul Carmel »

We have a small room which we currently use for our storage (it's locked during the season). We want to convert it into a shower room and are considering whether to go for a 'normal' shower cubicle and tile the walls, or whether to go for one of these all-in-one backed shower units. We're thinking that the advantage of the all-in-one (can't think what else to call it!) would be that we wouldn't need to tile so it would be cheaper and easier to install, and they can look quite good. However I once used one on holiday and it seemed quite flimsy and wobbley, and someone else has said they often develop a strange smell after a while and aren't very hygienic. Also if something goes wrong, I'm guessing it would be a much bigger job to fix.

So, boring as this all is!, does anyone have any experience, negative or positive, of these all-in-one showers? (We're not thinking of the hugely expensive all-singing all-dancing ones with 24 massage hydro jets, more the most simple, lower end of the scale).
Cheers
PC
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

Paul, if you want my dime's worth of advice, I would go for the conventional "tiled wall" job. It will last longer, practically for ever and like you yourself stated, the "all in one" types are a problem to fix. If you install a cheapie, it will not last and on the other hand, if you install a top of the range hydro massage contraption, your guests will simply desroy it in no time!
A few metres of wall tiles, good grouting and a decent ceramic shower tray should be enough, together with a good shower head which will be the only thing that needs to be replaced once in a while.
Malta – always in the sunshine!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paul,

John has said it all so it don't need repeating. Sometimes traditional is best and this is one those times.

Alan
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Paul, mam had two sayings about buying stuff which both mean around the same.

1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. The cheapest is the dearest in the long run

There's some good old Geordie wisdom for you :)
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

soodyer wrote:There's some good old Geordie wisdom for you :)
Ah! yes, but Geordies built things out of steel and built them to last. Others built things out of plastic, which doesn't last. If you believe in "it's so last-week" do the plastic thing; otherwise, do the "real" thing.

Alan
aillis

Post by aillis »

If its on the ground floor tile it but if its on a wooden floor the module showers are better as they can cope with movement.I like the modular showers cost about £200 are sturdy and easy to fit have installed 4 in the last 2 years
Ju

Post by Ju »

Paul,

I would definately go for a tiled shower, for preference three walled sides, and the fourth with a proper shower door. It would be stronger, easier to clean and last much, much longer.

Ju
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paul,

My preference is very much for a tiled shower but Aillis does have a good point.

I have stayed in a number of hotels which had the plastic cubicle showers and they are obviously very easy to install and maintain. They look as though they use the same taps, hoses, shower heads and wastes as tiled showers, is that right?

I stayed in one hotel where the whole bathroom was a plastic module in the corner of the bedroom. Apparently they come as a sort of flat-pack with all plumbing and electrics built in. A DIY dream?

Alan
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

But, Fluffy, oh so tacky! The only experience I have had of the plastic all-in-one shower cubicle was one that was leaning groggily away from the walls and I thought it could fall over at any moment. It moved all the time I was using it and felt very unsafe underfoot. Obviously it was extremely badly installed.

My pesonal preference is for those lovely showers with lotsof space, three tiled walls, a tiled floor, either doors or curtains, and a movable shower head on a flexible hose. I realise the curtains have to be replaced each year, but hey, think of the different themes you could have! Or, if space is at a premium, a conventional corner shower unit with sliding doors, but they get pretty gungey after a while, don't they. That mould and mildew spray is a miracle-worker for difficult nooks and crannies and discoloured grout. I wonder if it is safe for fosses septiques?

Good lighting is essential, too!

Loopy 8)
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.