Online invoicing or how do you request payments?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Mountain Goat

Online invoicing or how do you request payments?

Post by Mountain Goat »

For the last six months or so we've been researching online invoicing - there are about 30 outfits which offer this service, some free; some chargeable.

The problem is finding one which allows punters to pay their invoice by credit card. There are plenty in the US, but almost zero in the UK except at crazy prices (what's new?).

PayPal offers an invoice option, but you have to like PayPal and accept their high commission rate and chargeback risk.

This one's interesting:

Intuit Billing Manager

I don't think I've mentioned it before. It's free, it's secure, and allows you to bill in most currencies. The downside is that you can't accept credit cards unless you have a US bank account, but it's still fine for producing professional-looking invoices with bank transfer or send-a-cheque details and offering punters PayPal or to phone/fax credit card details. Similar outfits charge you upwards of US$20/month with restrictions.

There's another supplier which is configuring their credit card gadget to a UK payment provider for us - details to follow.

As soon as you start paying for these billing gadgets you might consider a full online accounting application - some of them are the same cost.
MG
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Well IMHO automated invoicing is really for the big boys. I don't think that many of us here on LMH would come into that category (but it will be interesting to see who does do this).

Rather than invoices, we send out a chatty message (albeit a cut and pasted one in most cases). It is really an invoice (as it does at some point include a polite request for a specific sum), but rather a disguised one !

I don't think sending out cold informal invoices would do anything for our particular business as we try and be as personal as possible in an attempt to build a friendly relationship with the guests before they arrive.

Anyone else agree with that ?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I send out invoices and as soon as the guest pays they receive an invoice confirming payment. It is send in the form of a personal email from me that I set up using the provider Payboxmail (France only). I receive a copy of the invoice too which I can then print off for the accountant (if he needs it).
I also send out a second email at the same time just letting the guest know that the invoice has been sent, and including directions and info on the local area, plus info about arrival departure times.
I don't think it does any harm in sending out invoices in this way, in fact the guest probably feels more comfortable to receive official proof of payment.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We don't do invoices, even with 9 units and I can't see the need. People have to make a 50% or 100% payment to get a booking confirmation which shows what they have paid and when/if a second payment is due. I keep a list of second payments due. OH has a reminder for each set up on his computer. I send a brief email reminder about 1 week before it is due. Guests can pay by credit card or bank transfer.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

MG,
The intuit one looks interesting, but unless they have a UK or France option, it's a bit of a non-starter for us. But we would be interested if you get any info about a UK one.

LV,
How are you getting on with Paybox and how much does it cost?
I've had a look at their website and it seems interesting.
Given that all our income ends up in our French bank account, Paybox might be a way forward for us...
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I love Paybox, it is such a quick, easy and relatively cheap way to accept payment. I've been using it for 2 years now and have never had a problem with the service. But there is a standing charge - mine is cheap because of the deal with Ille et Vilaine Crédit Agricole, I pay 250€ per year, then 0,45% commission + 15c on every European transaction (including UK) and 1% for international transactions. It really depends on your income as to whether it is worthwhile or not, for me it most definitely is.
I think RR uses it too.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I send (mostly via e-mail) a receipt for the deposit along with a 'thank you for booking. chatty front page. The receipt states when the balance is due. I put a reminder in my spreadsheet and send a gentle 'now due' letter if it doesn't arrive on time. When the balance is paid I send another receipt along with the number for the keybox and the directions.

I have 2 bookings from OZ in June and the baalance for one was due on April 26th. On the 27th I e-mailed to say now due and the money was paid via on-line transfer into my account that day also along came also a 'sorry I forgot chatty letter'

I take cheques and allow 5 days for it to reach me to secure the dates. I also take payment via on line transfer and this is how most people choose to pay.

I don't take credit cards but have online booking facility with Eviivo and if people book through any of the many marketing channels i am opted into via that, some I pay for and some I don't (i.e. VB, EE visit Lincolnshire) they take the full amount via credit card at the time of booking and put that into my account at the end of the month that the guests stayed.

I do pay differing amounts of commission depending on which channel they have come to me through but it has provided me with 3 weeks paid up front bookings during March and April (separate to bookings that came direct) so I am pleased with it. Also I find the people you deal with very helpful.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Interesting comments....

Richard D. I think you’ve got a good point there, although there’s nothing much automatic about the invoice gadget. Although we usually have a reasonably informal exchange with punters before they book, somehow, before they part with a few grand to someone who could be a figment of some crook’s imagination, most of them like to have something official-looking. We have a booking form, and T&Cs attached, so maybe that’s enough, but we’re really trying to get this thing working for credit card payments, as PayPal is too crude. But, of course, we can add all our bank account info as well and other options, to the invoice form.

And when things go wrong (think loss of smokers’ deposits, volcano shenanigans, damage) then I’d like to depend on more than an informal email exchange; same with insurance companies who demand an invoice/receipt/statement for claims; plus visa authorities as well (Russian Fed. / China). Our accountant can get a bit twitchy without something half formal when they’re sifting through our stuff.

It can be made reasonably attractive with your property’s logo/photo on the invoice, and some punters need to make a claim for business expenses.

NC. Well, I’m nagging Intuit for a European version. It will handle any currency though, including € and £.. It’s just the date format and some vocab I’m trying to get them to change (see elsewhere).

LV. Paybox is just unbeatable, I can see that, but the payment forms were a little antique last time I saw them.

MG
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Mountain Goat wrote: LV. Paybox is just unbeatable, I can see that, but the payment forms were a little antique last time I saw them.
MG
But does it really matter? It looks fine to me, my website is on it for extra proof of who I am and I've never had any complaints about the antique screen...