Help needed from kindly techies

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
paolo

Help needed from kindly techies

Post by paolo »

I need help!

I'm helping a forum member - Fraise - with finishing off her website, just dropping in pictures and captions.

But one thing that is beyond my comprehension is why the navigation links have a life of their own.

I have put the pages up here:

http://www.pdpink.co.uk/janet/index.htm

First problem:

There is a 'Book now' page, called book.htm. I linked 'Book now' in the navigation menu to book.htm, but clicking on it took you to the page availability.htm instead.

If I looked at the source code from the published webpage, it showed that the link was going to availability.htm. When I downloaded the page to change it, it showed the link was to book.htm.

This problem then resolved itself, seemingly by itself. Instead, the 'Home' link stopped working. Instead of pointing to index.htm, on three of the pages it goes to home.htm. The index page was previously called home.htm

What the **** is going on here?

My grasp of html is feeble - any help gratefully received!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Darren

Post by Darren »

Paolo,

I've just navigated my way around the website and the links appear fine - I clicked on 'book now' and it took me to book.htm, and I then clicked on the Availability link and it directed me to availability.htm

Could it be that your browsing the pages held on your PC rather than the files uploaded to the website?

Nice site!

Darren
paolo

Post by paolo »

Darren,

Thanks for looking at it.

I am flummoxed, it has cured itself again. I clicked from the link in this thread before and the navigation links were malfunctioning on the site. Now I followed the same link and they are fine. It must be the ghost in the machine.

I also have a follow-up question, which is actually Fraise's:
The other thing that is not working on the Book Now page is when in preview mode you select your arrival month there is an error - it should return the valid saturdays in the month in question for selecting the start date of the booking. If this was fixed in the code then the site would be operable.
I have no idea how you go about doing this. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

Hi Paolo,

Being the nightbird that i am, i've been able to take a glance over your html.

As i think i've said before, i'm always one for 'jumping in' and on this occasion i decided to rewrite the javascript .... that is, before i noticed that the only thing stopping your code from working is the lack of a 'form' around the central table, 10 sec job!

Just wrap a form round the central table, with instructions for your email script, and all will be well.

Let me know if there are any further problems :)
paolo

Post by paolo »

livinginitaly,

Thank you for diagnosing the problem. I now have another one - I don't know how to wrap a form around the central table - see, I told you my grasp of html was basic.

If it is a 10 second job, I would be very grateful if you could walk me through it (i.e. do it for me). :D

Many thanks!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
BungleBob

Form wrapping

Post by BungleBob »

Hi Paolo

The part of the page with boxes should have a form around it. Not sure how your WYSIWYG editor does this but the code should be something like:

Code: Select all

<form method="post" action="/inc/genmail.php">
  <table class="MsoNormalTable" border="0" cellpadding="0">
    <tr>
      <td width="201" style="width&#58;150.75pt;padding&#58;.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt">
      <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-family&#58;Arial;color&#58;#669900">Book 
      Now</span></td>
      <td style="border&#58; medium none; padding&#58; 0cm" width="252">
      <p class="MsoNormal">&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <tr>
      <td width="455" colspan="2" style="width&#58;341.25pt;padding&#58;.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt">
      <p class="MsoNormal" align="center" style="text-align&#58;center">
      <span style="font-family&#58;Arial;color&#58;black">
      <input TYPE="submit" ACTION="/inc/genmail.php" VALUE="Send" METHOD="post" NAME="submit"></span></td>
    </tr>
  </table>
</form>
i.e. you "wrap" the <form> tag around the code so the page knows which part is for users to fill in.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Looks like it's working now, thanks very much for your help! :D
Paolo
Lay My Hat
livinginitaly

oops ... sorry Paolo

Post by livinginitaly »

sorry Paolo, i seem to be having problems explaining myself properly lately :)

As 'bunglebob' rightly says, insert the 'form' as described. One thing though, i notice that the form uses a file called 'inc/genmail.php'. This refers to the file or script that will handle the form for the site.

I understand that this is a job you have 'taken over' from someone else (nothing worse), therefore if the site is going to be hosted in a different location you may have to 'rename' this file as many hosts use different mail scripts as standard eg. 'formail', 'mailform', 'supermail', 'genmail'. It's location could also be different too eg. 'cgi-bin/genmail'.

Hope this helps
paolo

Post by paolo »

Thanks for that livinginitaly (can I call you by your real name?!). I thought dropping in a few pics and captions would take 20 minutes, but NO!

Forms and scripts are somewhere outside the circumference of my knowledge. So hopefully I won't need your tip, but if I do I can always come back and find it.

Thanks.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Fraise

Humble moi

Post by Fraise »

:( Coo,I'm ashamed to say I've only just seen these conversations- thankyou hugely to everyone who contributed!!!!!!!!!! Cor,I'd no idea of the work involved in getting one of these beasts up and running!!! Thanks again, :lol:
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

A 'tiny' part of me (the 'dark' part) is strangely pleased to hear of the problems you're having :twisted:

No offence, lol ...... it's just that after many years of having potential clients say 'thanks for your quote, but my son / nephew / cousin / friend' does a bit of webdesign and they'll do if for a couple of drinks'. It pleases me that 'hopefully' they had similar experiences too :)

<insert wicked cackle><fade>
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

Paolo & Co.,
what language are you all speaking in!!!! :)
See why I steer clear of trying to do it myself!
We have a saying in Maltese, which when translated goes something like this: Give bread to he who knows how to eat it.
I think I will stick to fruit or something!
Malta – always in the sunshine!