huh? come again?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
bananacake

huh? come again?

Post by bananacake »

ok so i replied to an enquiry... and this is what i get back. Any idea what they are trying to say?

thanks!

I have now spoken with the others and for some it is now too expensive that is, we still would not 10 people, maybe even what happen but that is not sure it would be ok if we had won so many is not it?

Because we would book the house likes:)
I wanted to ask how the reservation would expire Namely?
bananacake

Post by bananacake »

....as it came through a German site they might have used Google to translate to English - so let me try translating it back to German....

German anyone?

Ich habe jetzt mit den anderen gesprochen, und für einige ist es jetzt zu teuer ist, dass wir noch nicht 10 Leute, vielleicht sogar, was passiert, aber das ist nicht sicher, es wäre ok, wenn wir so viele gewonnen hatte, nicht wahr?

Weil wir würden das Haus gerne buchen:)
Ich wollte fragen, wie die Reservierung wäre nämlich verfallen?
kendalcottages

Post by kendalcottages »

At the start, I think he/she is saying that it's too expensive for some of the people in his/her party, and that there might therefore be fewer of them... thereafter, I can't make head or tail of it! :D
Kendal Holiday Cottages Ltd., Kendal, Cumbria - between the Lake District & the Yorkshire Dales.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

I suspect you've been well and truly Googlated. You could well be right in thinking your punter sent you a Google-crafted Ger->Engl. trannie.

And when you put the "English" back through the Google mangle, the result is truly eye-watering.

It'd be a pity to miss out on a booking, and there might be one lurking there. (If you want to go back to your punter and coax a reply out of them in German, I'll translate it for you).
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

bananacake wrote:....they might have used Google to translate to English - so let me try translating it back to German....
first of all, I very much doubt they used Google to translate from German to English. More likely they used some older version fo BabelFish or even worse, they may even have used Babelfish to translate from say Czech to German to English :-(

I'm not surprised that the English to German is utter rubbish. GIGO!

In my experience, Google translate is excellent (for these purposes I hasten to add), and I would suggest that you write back in very simple English (translates better) asking them to email you in THEIR own language. Then you can Google translate and get a clear sense of what is being asked - or ask RR and get a perfect translation :-)
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

or ask RR and get a perfect translation :)

Can't you make that smiley a tad more enthusiastic, eR? 8) :lol: