340 word reply to an enquiry - too much? too little? ok?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Mountain Goat wrote:Just under 9,500 from us.
D*mn you MG!!! Whilst reading through this post I thought we would win with the longest reply (1079 words) and then you came along and blew me right out of the running!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

We have a standard reply that is kept as a "Canned response" in gmail, and we then tailor it according to the enquiry.

Do long replies work or do they look too pushy?
Well, so far in 2010 we've had 74 enquiries, 43 of which we've refused because they were for already booked dates.
Of the remaining 31 who were sent my long email, only 12 didn't book, so I guess that means I have a 61% conversion rate? (I'm no mathematician so I could be completely wrong here!). Is that right? And if so, is that good?
Whatever. I don't plan to ditch it now because it seems to work for me.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't do stats, but nearly all enquiries I get convert, providing there is availability, even with a minimum of information. My website address is in my email signature, and I get a lot of compliments about the site from guests, so I can only assume that has as much info as people need.
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

Margaret wrote:I agree with LV about not putting deadlines in the first reply but I do always point out that there is a booking form on the website. Some people are actually ready to book and are just enquiring to make sure the dates really are available and that someone is answering emails.
We are in the lucky position of receiving three enquiries a week, sometimes for the same dates (if mr Sod is in town) and so we have come round to using date deadlines for expression of interest to help us not lose enquiries from others that come in after the original but inevitably want some of the same dates.

Before, without deadlines we found that we had given open-ended offers and people would come back 8 days later with an extra question, then not book - and we'd have lost 8 days and the back-up guest too.

We average a 60-70% conversion rate from our enquiries for available dates with this technique. On occasion though, I do phone people if their request is a bit particular or i want to be sure they exist.

Works for us but can see why people think a date is a bit harsh.

DC
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I've just booked a campsite for August (yippeee - I'm going back to the Ile de Ré* 8) :D ) and having made my booking I have to pay my deposit within 15 days. This is how they word their date deadline:

bla bla . . . please pay deposit within X days . . . bla bla bla . . .
Si ce delai venait a etre dépassé, nous serions, a notre grand regret, dans l'obligation d'annuler cette réservation purement et simplement
which roughly translates as
If this deadline is passed, we will be, with our great regret, obliged to cancel your reservation purely and simply
I thought that was quite a good way of putting it.

*but not, unfortunately, to one of Rocket Rab's lovely houses :cry:
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Having had my first gite basically finished for about a week I have had 3 enquiries and no conversions at all. (2nd property will be finished this week) None of them have been for the dates advertised, but it has been very exciting just to know that someone has seen my efforts. What is in your emails that gets you these tremendous conversion rates? Clearly mine have been too brief - Just saying thanks for contacting us, yes they are free - sooooo free - and please get back to us if they wish to have more information.

So, what should I be saying - I don't think I have 1000 words on my website for all 3 properties! My website is not yet live, but hopefully will be next week. Another exciting moment.
I thought we would win with the longest reply (1079 words) and then you came along and blew me right out of the running!!!
So MG and NC, please let me in to some of your secrets - what do you say?

If my life goes belly up it will be the fault of all you LMHers out there that make it all seem possible - you have been (too) inspirational!

Wallypott
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

wallypott wrote: Clearly mine have been too brief - Just saying thanks for contacting us, yes they are free - sooooo free - and please get back to us if they wish to have more information.

If my life goes belly up it will be the fault of all you LMHers out there that make it all seem possible - you have been (too) inspirational!
Why do you think it is your response that has not converted the booking? There are many other factors involved too. I convert a lot of enquiries with a very brief response.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I convert a lot of enquiries with a very brief response.
I wouldn't read too much into that remark because LV is one of LMH's class acts and an inspiration to us all. A few hours researching LV's old posts would be time well spent.

Jim
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Wallypott, you've been PM'd....I don't think there are any secrets, but I firmly believe a quick reply makes a difference.

MG
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Wally - always ask an open ended question at the end of your reply...to encourage them to reply back (thus getting into conversation).
For example: Is it your first time to this area?
I also try and personalise it if I can, for instance if the phone number is from the North West etc.
Also end the message with 'hope to hear back from you soon, best wishes xyz' or something like that.

MG - when you first mentioned sending all that information I was quite surprised...but now I've stopped and thought about your 'you stand out from the crowd' comment and I think I'm missing an opportunity to do a final 'sell' so I'm going to put together a 2 page pdf that people can print out and show to the others in the group. I'll keep it tight but will include addional photos and information about the village etc.

As I'm worried about emails being bounced because of attachments I'll still keep to my quite short reply but offer to send them the pdf.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!