Dog Friendly

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

We've not had particular problems with dog owners. Our dog friendly unit has its own fenced courtyard area where the owners can let the dog loose for its morning ablutions if they don't feel like getting dressed to take it out. We're also in a location where they only have to walk down our drive to be out on common land and vast tracts of countryside.

We make a point of talking to dog owners at the enquiry stage, asking about their dog(s) and gauging their attitude. We set rules which owners expect - no dogs in bedrooms or on the furniture, under strict control in our own grounds, and not to be left on their own.

We decided not to make an additional charge for dogs, and state that "as dog owners ourselves, we believe that responsible owners will make extra effort etc etc". Although it always requires a bit more work checking for hairs, we do find most owners have gone the extra to clean up; they usually miss the hairs stuck to the back of the lounge curtains where the dog has stood looking out of the door! We also have the security bond in our back pocket just in case.

We also provide a few extras such as a bed - the semi-rigid sort they use in kennels - a bucket, sponge and a bottle of "Woof 'n Go", a water bowl by the outside tap and a Bonio or two as part of the welcome pack. Nothing that involves significant extra costs, but helps the owners to feel just that little bit more indebted and responsible.

I suspect that dog owners are the same as any other guests - most are great, some aren't. I also suspect that people treat hotels and self-catering rather differently, possibly in the belief that hotels have endless staff sitting around waiting to answer their every whim, because that's what they're paying for. :roll:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

http://bit.ly/bpFetj
''The number of family holiday companies that welcome four-legged friends is increasing.''
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

we are converting a building into a second letting unit with the specific intention of being able to offer dog friendly accommodation.

Our current unit is dog free apart from assist dogs. We've had just one booking for an assist dog and we didn't know it was there. Not a sound and no poo etc.

We have a dog ourselves and look for dog friendly when we book a break.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Any suggestions as to where to advertise July availability for my dog friendly cottage?

I found a couple of forums -pet forum and dog chat. I've registered with one and it won't let me post yet and the other seems to have an error and wont let me join!

I have two weeks left and I am advertising on ebay as well, so I'm getting desperate!
yourlamanga
Location: La Manga Del Mar Menor, Costa Calida, Murcia, Spain

Post by yourlamanga »

We allow dogs by request in our apartment in Spain and if holidaying in the UK I like to be able to take my dogs too. Did stay in one cottage which had a bizarre rule that they would accept dogs but the dogs were never to be left alone in the cottage, when I explained that I had a crate with me and they would be no bother if crated for a couple of hours they still said no which made things awkward when eating out etc.
"There are two seasons in Scotland: June and winter.” - Billy Connolly

http://www.yourlamanga.com/index.php
http://bit.ly/aGbQ6n - Homelidays
http://bit.ly/c7O4O9 - HR
http://twitter.com/yourlamanga - Twitter
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Deb does your website have dog friendly in the main heading so it is picked up by searches? Dog Friendly Britain, Dogs People and Paws for a Walk - enquiries but no bookings from these.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

does your website have dog friendly in the main heading so it is picked up by searches?
By the main heading, do you mean within the page on the first page of my site?
Windy

Post by Windy »

Deb - your search ranking for a phrase is heavily dependent on content. (ie. if that phrase occurs and if so specifically where)

To get picked up by Google for "dog friendly" you should make sure that that phrase is in the title metatag of the page (the bit that appears in the blue margin at the top) and in the H1 heading tag of your content. It does no harm to put it into the keyword meta tag as well.

So in the header section of your page you might have (along with a load of other stuff)

<title>Deb's place - Dog Friendly Log Cabin For Rent in Xtown</title>

<meta name="keywords" content="dog friendly, pet friendly, xtown"/>

and in the <body> section you might start with

<h1>Deb's Place - A stunning dog-friendly lodge in Xtown<h1>

That would help you get better rankings for people searching for dogfriendly places in your locality.

There's a lot more to SEO than that obviously, but it would be a start..
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Windy - yes its coming back to me now from my days spent learning some html etc! However, I am using the google site at the moment and don't find it terribly easy to amend.

I cannot see how I make the appropriate amendments. Do I go on the html page and just type in the correct phrase etc? I can probably find my coursework and do a quick refresher! The google site is a WYSIWYG which always have such terrible downsides as we know.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

yourlamanga wrote:We allow dogs by request in our apartment in Spain and if holidaying in the UK I like to be able to take my dogs too. Did stay in one cottage which had a bizarre rule that they would accept dogs but the dogs were never to be left alone in the cottage, when I explained that I had a crate with me and they would be no bother if crated for a couple of hours they still said no which made things awkward when eating out etc.

Hi. We allow dogs in our house near the New Forest but have always specified that dogs are not left alone in the house & I would advise any other property owners to do the same. If you check the small print in dog friendly properties most of them say the same. It is done to stop guests going out for the day, leaving the dog/dogs to bark & howl, thus upsetting the neighbours. In 4 years I have never had anyone question it. Now if anyone can help me with stopping the dogs weeing on my plants & killing them please?????
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

Did stay in one cottage which had a bizarre rule that they would accept dogs but the dogs were never to be left alone in the cottage

I agree, this is the norm in this country. Quite honestly if people left their dog in our holiday let and it barked all day it would drive us mad, and our own dog, as we live on site.
yourlamanga
Location: La Manga Del Mar Menor, Costa Calida, Murcia, Spain

Post by yourlamanga »

I can see the barking would be a pain (thankfully my two don't bark unless they hear a disturbance and then it's just a warning couple of barks) but talking to other dog owners they said that they had never come across such a rule when renting dog friendly accommodation, maybe they have just been lucky. As it was we left them in the car when we went for meals out but had it been warmer weather this would not have been possible.
"There are two seasons in Scotland: June and winter.” - Billy Connolly

http://www.yourlamanga.com/index.php
http://bit.ly/aGbQ6n - Homelidays
http://bit.ly/c7O4O9 - HR
http://twitter.com/yourlamanga - Twitter
Windy

Post by Windy »

In our park rules it does stipulate that dogs (and children) must not be left alone in lodges. If you've ever have ever had one of your dining table legs chewed by a bored dog (or child) you might see it otherwise YLM :cry:

I know that if owners bring crates then it's just the potential barking. We could leave a dog crate but not that many dogs are crate trained and putting a dog that isn't used to it into a crate and leaving it is really going to distress it. Unfortunately the dogs whose owners haven't crate trained them are more likely to do some damage on the basis that they (the dogs I mean) are probably generally less well trained.

In fact if your dog is crate trained, you bring a crate and it's quite happy nobody is likely to know or worry if you leave it for an hour or so are they?

My advice is to book a holiday where there are plenty of great doggy pubs to eat in near by and then it's not an issue! Now where could that be?. Hmmmm.....
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Agree with previous posts - certainly in the UK it's the norm that dogs are not left alone in the property; we've never had an issue with dog owners about it - it's generally what they expect, although we do state this clearly when they enquire and again when they book, rather than just have it hidden in the T&C's.
Obviously we tell guests where the dog friendly eating places are.

Same sites as apexblue, had a couple of bookings but can't remember which one they came from, or the guests didn't remember. Cheap enough to list with anyway.