Our first season coming up and I'm panicing

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
enid

Post by enid »

2004 we started with one gite - 2005 we had two - 2006 the bookings are pouring in and we are turning folks away - but back to that first year- I think we picked up most of our bookings when everyone else was full - we did Ok and the return bookings have been great. This year we have nearly reached our objective already. Don't panic yet - believe in your product and wait awhile.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

This time last year we were in exactly the same position as you!!I asked for advice on here re putting up grotty piccies (I didn't alter the horrors at all!!)- I had a varied response.I decided to put up my warts and all pictures-they were really bad!I put a paragraph on my website explaining!! We had our first booking in February and in the end had a really successful season,even though I had to turn people away as we weren't actually ready until May.The first people to book did so on the strength of grotty pictures and my phone conversation!!They took it on trust and kept looking at the web for updates.They had a fabulous holiday and said the house was even better than they could have possibly imagined!!
We had over 20 weeks booked which we weren't expecting in our first half season!!! Don't stress- there is loads of time yet!!!! :lol: :D
:lol:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fraise,

I shouldn't have been in such a hurry to stick my oar in but that's what I was getting at in my original response.

This is not a dig at anybody, I promise, but personal experiences are worth a thousand theories.

Alan
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

'''and an extremely pleasant,fluffy oar it was too :lol: :wink:
anmo51

Keep your chin up.

Post by anmo51 »

Hello Jules,
I understand your feeling v ery well, my husband and I started this year,and we were in the same condition. I left my jobs, and we needed som income.
Firs do not panick: booking are starting in a couple of weeks.
Second I would advise you to choose a couple of web site with free trial: click4holidayhomes.com , I got a lot of inquiries from this site during the year and a couple of bookings.
I also choose to work with some agencies (through the net), I know that they ask for a commission, but at least I was sure to get some guest,they all work through the web and if you want I can send you the name of the ones I came to trust more during this (almost finished year), eventually they came to visit the property, and I think I will work with a couple of them on steady basis, I still have to improve my web site, but this year , even if we opened very very late for the season we got enough booking, so please do not loose faith.
My best wishes for a new year full of bookings.
Anna