A New View For You - any chance of your humble opinions pls?

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

Jimbo, people shots are not something i've ever thought about, but you are right, it could add another dimension...

I am heading out in a few weeks so might call on my cousins to posing for some jovial card came photos around a table in the garden?

DC
Maurmc

Post by Maurmc »

Don Ciccio wrote: people shots are not something i've ever thought about, but you are right, it could add another dimension...
On a personal level, I don't like "people shots" when viewing holiday property. I think it's easier for the guest to visualise themselves there if it's a blank canvas!
If you always do what you've always done then you'll always get what you've always got.

Apartment Mil Palmeras
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I don't like "people shots" when viewing holiday property.
Me, I don't like bleak estate-agent type empty shots when I'm viewing holiday property but we're all different (and I'm in a minority on here). DC stresses his family's involvement in his enterprise and the effort they collectively put in to try and make their guests happy, so I thought a jolly group picture might be appropriate in that context.

Jim
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

Either way, it's got me thinking and perhaps we will add one or two shots here and there, to show the potential. Or maybe we will just add some pics to the about us section? At this stage I don't know, but appreciate the discussion and views either way as I get to hear other people's views on the matter.

Ta
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

You need to be careful with your people shots - depending on the people they can be really off-putting IMHO.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Don Ciccio wrote:Either way, it's got me thinking and perhaps we will add one or two shots here and there, to show the potential. Or maybe we will just add some pics to the about us section? At this stage I don't know, but appreciate the discussion and views either way as I get to hear other people's views on the matter.
You might find this thread interesting to read regarding people in photos or not, even though it is from a while back viewtopic.php?t=8751
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

You might find this thread interesting to read regarding people in photos or not ...
Yes, that was an interesting thread but, although I wriggled this way and that, I don't think I converted many people to 'people'!

Jim
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I like using people in our photos, we have used some for 'activity' shots on our website. Unfortunately, I don't like seeing myself in photos, I am not particularly photogenic, and I am often the only 'people' around when hubby is taking photo.
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

People can add some scale to a a place, like the beach or the garden, but I will have to experiment and see. Personally, i thought the picture of the pool worked better without anybody in it.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I definitely prefer to see people on a beach, in a town etc., but just not in my gites, or at least not on the homepage. I think it would perhaps give the wrong impression that I'm a 'mein host' type of owner who invites guests around for communal barbecues and becomes best friends with them.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

... perhaps give the wrong impression that I'm a 'mein host' type of owner who invites guests around for communal barbecues and becomes best friends with them.
Never yet happened to me, even though my front page is wall to wall bodies. Perhaps it's the sight of my 'do you feel lucky punk' changeover face and dog Boswell's slavering jaws that make arriving guests suddenly remember urgent appointments elsewhere!

Jim
Don Ciccio

Post by Don Ciccio »

Jimbo,

I have been having a look round your site and actually quite like the idea of having pictures of previous guests on the feedback pages. Kind of brings it all full circle and maybe this is where I will do mine.

We have a few pictures that guests have sent us and i might ask some ifthey have others to break up the otherwise very textular feedback page.

I think they bring your feedback pages to life.

DC
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

A compromise on the "people in photos" discussion for those who do not like showing people, but do want to show a "welcoming" view:

When dressing the photo, add subtle hints that people are using the space.

Some examples:
Showing a dining table/patio table laid out with fruit, food, crockery and cutlery. Remember to pour wine into the glasses as if they are half drunk.
When showing poolside loungers, set out towels as if they are in use. Not neatly folded at the foot of the bed, but spread out across the loungers. [clue: I think that bare white loungers look 'orrible]
Bedroom photos. Try putting a glass of water and book on the bedside table.
A contentious one: Living room photo, switch on the TV (difficult to capture, but maybe use "simulated picture").

All "signs of life" without actual faces in the photos.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !