1and1

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
canda

1and1

Post by canda »

Hi

Does anybody use 1and1 for web hosting? I have found the right package but when I try to purchase it tells me it's only available in the US or Canada. They give an alternative for UK customers, (although it is more expensive) but we only have an address in France. Does anyone know if there is a way round it?

Thanks in advance

Canda
HAPPY NEW YEAR
mvus

Post by mvus »

If it's a standard html website you want to upload you could use godaddy.com which would cost you around £25 per year or if you need more functionality, lonex.com seem to get consistently very good reviews, has everything and costs under £40 per year
gh

Post by gh »

Hi canda Happy New Year to You,

We use 1and1 with no problems although we started with them originally from GB. They are very good as you say. Have you contacted them to ask why?
We find the £££ :D for what you can achieve.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Canda,

Apart from the fact that you found an attractive option with 1and1 I don't see any significance in where in the world your Web host is based. Nor do I understand why 1and1 will only deal with customers based in the USA or Canada.

I would simply seek out a similar option with another Web host.

Happy hunting in a Happy New Year.

Alan
thisfrenchlife

Post by thisfrenchlife »

Hi

I have a number of sites hosted with Dayanahost http://www.dayanahost.com/ and there is one simple reason why – it is a great service.

Their cheapest option costs just a few dollars for a year and you can update your site with their inbuilt software.

This means you do not need to download any FTP software or learn about different transfer protocols, if you can find a file on your computer you can update your site.

Their service would be suitable for a 10 to 20 page website for a holiday home.

Regards

Craig

http://www.thisfrenchlife.com/
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

Hi Canda

I´ve used 1and1 for many years and I think they are great and good value for money.

Try this link to the UK website:

https://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/ove ... b?__frame=

Good Luck!

Linda
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Canda -

I've been using icdsoft.com for the past year... after leaving my last host due to extremely poor (eg, non-existent) support.

I researched a number of forums and online guides looking for reputable hosting and finally chose icdsoft, though I looked at 1and1, too.

What I read was true: if you have a support question, icdsoft will respond within MINUTES to your emails. It's amazing. I've never waited more than 3-4 minutes for a response. (If the problem is very complicated, they will still respond within minutes to tell you that they are working on a solution and will give an estimate for how long that will take. You are never left hanging.)

I am thrilled with their service. Prices are good, too.

Just fyi,
debk
(who has no affliation with icdsoft other than as a very satisfied user)
canda

Post by canda »

Thanks to everyone for replying. I have decided to look for an alternative to 1and1 so all your suggestions have been very welcome. Now I just have to decide!

I have been trying to write my own html code, using Frontpage 2003. Will I need a host which supports Frpntpage extensions or can I just upload using FTP? Just when I think I have worked out all the answers, another question pops up to baffle me :?

Canda
thisfrenchlife

Post by thisfrenchlife »

Hi Canda

Most hosting services will allow you to use Frontpage extensions, just check what is on offer and if you are not sure send them an email.

If nothing else it will show you how quick they get back to their customers!!!

Regards

Craig

http://www.thisfrenchlife.com/