Christmas

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Darren

Post by Darren »

Tansy, Interesting comment in your previous post about people stopping at home in the UK.

Usually I know someone who is going away on holiday over Christmas or New Year, but this year everyone does seem to be stopping at home.

According to travel "experts" long haul destinations are going to be the winner this year ... we'll just have to wait and see what happens! I'm skeptical though.

I'll certainly be at home, and I'm going to lock up my laptop and PC so I do not turn it on over the festive period :lol:

Darren :)
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

What do most of you charge for Christmas/New Year? We haven't let our place out at that time of year yet as we've used it ourselves so far, but I suspect we will for 2005.

We don't have the central heating installed yet. It's not bad with the log burner and the mobile oil radiators in the bedrooms, but we'd feel more comfortable letting it out properly heated.

I was working on the basis that you can charge peak rate prices for the festive season - does that seem reasonable?
paolo

Post by paolo »

I charge about 75% of peak prices for the 2 weeks of Christmas and New Year, and I get bookings. That doesn't give you anything to go on because maybe if I charged 200% I would still get bookings. I'd see what your local competitors are charging to get an idea.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Welcome Mrs Divine. Love the name and your cottage looks gorgeous!

Anyway, here's the Christmas/New Year outlook from one UK perspective:

New Year is one of our prime weeks. It always gets booked up - we could probably let that week 15 to 20 times. It is probably our second busiest week after the UK October half term week. Certainly much busier than the summer school holidays which always book up but we probably only get 2-3 enquiries for each week.

Christmas week is another matter. This year it's booked - a repeat booking from last year. Often it isn't booked. The scenario seems to be that we get quite a few enquiries, but it's hard to convert them into bookings. I suspect it is often a group of friends who over a drink think it would be a good idea to go away over Christmas ... and end up booking a New Year break as they'd rather spend Christmas at home. Just a thought!

Happy Christmas wherever you are this year!

Christine

PS: For info re heating - we have a traditional coal fire which also operates the central heating. This means that the central heating isn't operated at the flick of a switch. You need to light the coal fire first - and folk seem to love it.
sleekitbeastie

Post by sleekitbeastie »

I think this very much depends where you are. We are in the north Cotentin and so very easy to get to for a quick break - we therefore charge full peak rate. We are booked for 2004 and half full for 2005 (Christmas that is). I am sure (but cannot prove) that this is because we are 'half an hour's drive from Portsmouth'.
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

Christine Kenyon wrote:Welcome Mrs Divine. Love the name and your cottage looks gorgeous!

Anyway, here's the Christmas/New Year outlook from one UK perspective:

New Year is one of our prime weeks. It always gets booked up - we could probably let that week 15 to 20 times. It is probably our second busiest week after the UK October half term week. Certainly much busier than the summer school holidays which always book up but we probably only get 2-3 enquiries for each week.

Christmas week is another matter. This year it's booked - a repeat booking from last year. Often it isn't booked. The scenario seems to be that we get quite a few enquiries, but it's hard to convert them into bookings. I suspect it is often a group of friends who over a drink think it would be a good idea to go away over Christmas ... and end up booking a New Year break as they'd rather spend Christmas at home. Just a thought!

Happy Christmas wherever you are this year!

Christine

PS: For info re heating - we have a traditional coal fire which also operates the central heating. This means that the central heating isn't operated at the flick of a switch. You need to light the coal fire first - and folk seem to love it.
Many thanks for the info, the welcome and the compliments :) . It's my sister's house but look after the bookings. Merry Christmas to you too. We'll be at le Cheval Blanc - goodie!! :D
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302
tansy

Post by tansy »

Still no bookings for either house - AND I have advertised them as a special offers on holiday-rentals at 1000 Euros which is the lowest we have ever advertised the house at - and nothing! So now even if I did get a enquiry I'm not sure if I could get the house ready in time now :roll:

I think the whole thing is strange this year- there still seems to be massive availability - even in skiing areas.

Looks like the UK has done good this year - everyone is stopping at home - even my brother & his lady are staying at home this year - it's unheard of for her to not go away!
Maggiem

Post by Maggiem »

We've had a Christmas booking for a little while now, but had given up on the New Year when we had a sudden flurry of queries - very last minute. The first people to enquire have now booked, so I still don't think it's too late.
I'll now be spending quite some time today translating some information into French, but I'm telling myself that it will just improve my vocabulary!!
Of course, if you don't get bookings, you'll be able to relax and concentrate on enjoying Christmas, and will have less cleaning to do - perhaps the silver lining?
Maggie
Evie

xmas vacancy

Post by Evie »

Dear Tansy, nearly 3 months later & for the first time ever,I've no bookings for xmas. Fully booked for new year & all 2005 is looking good. I agree with you about the serious pay low money renters. I'm sure it's to do with the Saturday change over somehow. I have agreed to take bookings from any mid week date but it still hasn't helped the xmas slot. Guess what, I'm poorer financially but the cottages will get extra maintenance lavished on them in the spare unbooked week.
It'll be allright if you don't weaken